Using 624 to Bexley Grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ungratefulbiped

Using 624 to Bexley Grammar?

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

Sadly BGS is our above and beyond favourite of the 3. But it's the most awkward journey. I'm getting mixed info on TfL and the moovit app about where the 624 terminates. Does anyone take this route from Mottingham station/Eltham way?
The other routes are so arduous I think it would have to come off our list.
Mich895

Re: Using 624 to Bexley Grammar?

Post by Mich895 »

Hi, I have looked at the TFL website and see what you mean. It shows the 624 terminating at Welling Library, is this what you are referring to? If so, I live in Welling and wasn't aware the 624 came into Welling. I have found some information, that I have posted below that one bus a day goes to Welling.

Grove Park Station, Downham Way 0713 0735
Dunkery Road, Court Farm Road 0719 0741
Mottingham Station 0729 0753
Eltham, Church (High Street) 0733 0757
Avery Hill, Crown Woods School 0737 0801
Falconwood Station, Lingfield Crescent 0740 --
Falconwood, Parade 0743 --
Welling Corner, Churchfield Road 0747 --
Last edited by Mich895 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ungratefulbiped

Ouch! Thanks.
I am really torn and would love to hear others in this area that make that journey as I really do prefer it for my ds it seems to suit down to the ground. It's just putting 2 busses a day on him.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

I'll be at that bus stop later so will check if the 624 is showing as stopping there.
Jenbob

Post by Jenbob »

Do you live within walking distance of Eltham High Street? (Or is there a regular bus that takes you there such as the 161 from Mottingham) Quite a few children catch the 132 from Eltham High Street to the corner of Blackfen Road/Westwood Lane. This is about a 10 min journey. The walk from there up Westwood Lane and then down Wendover Way to Bexley Grammar is 10 min max. Many children do this walk as well to catch the 51 at the end of Wendover so your DC won't be alone!

By the way, my DS has just started at Bexley Grammar and is absolutely loving it!
Ungratefulbiped

Jenbob wrote:Do you live within walking distance of Eltham High Street? (Or is there a regular bus that takes you there such as the 161 from Mottingham) Quite a few children catch the 132 from Eltham High Street to the corner of Blackfen Road/Westwood Lane. This is about a 10 min journey. The walk from there up Westwood Lane and then down Wendover Way to Bexley Grammar is 10 min max. Many children do this walk as well to catch the 51 at the end of Wendover so your DC won't be alone!

By the way, my DS has just started at Bexley Grammar and is absolutely loving it!
Not walking distance but that sounds doable as all the busses go to eltham
High street or could walk if he was feeling it or others were going the same way. really makes me feel better to hearvthere are many children doing the same journey. I might do the journey tomorrow with all the school kids and my ds just to see. We are still trying to move for a bigger house to Eltham/new eltham so it feels wrong not to go for the one we liked best, but ds got it in his head he'd love the train for 2 stops for chis and sid.
Jenbob

Post by Jenbob »

Glad to be of help.
We are actually in walking distance to Chis and Sid but chose Bexley Grammar for our DS as it was the "better fit" and, as stated previously, he is loving both the education and wide range of activities and events the school offer and do. Yes, this does involve a bus journey and a walk but he hasn't been bothered by this at all, enjoys the independence and in fact has met a couple of friends in doing so.
Just to say, if you move to the New Eltham area, this would still involve 2 bus journeys to BG - a 321 or 233 to Sidcup and then the 51. All buses are fairly regular c. every 10 mins (233 I think is every 15/20mins at busy times).
Ungratefulbiped

Thank you. We had a house sale and purchase fall through over the summer and we're trying to stay close to st Thomas more. I have another son a year younger and don't know if he'll be grammar selective or not yet. Tempted to sell our house so we can be cash buyer and then look for purchase in a year when the school dust settles.
The pint being we aren't staying here, regardless!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now