Newsteadwood and new policy of pupil premium

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

apprentice

Re: Newsteadwood and new policy of pupil premium

Post by apprentice »

Although Townley's FSM pupils make up 11.3%, which is below the National average of 29.1%, it is still very impressive compared to other schools like NW (5.8%), TGS (2.9%), TWGGS (3.8%) or Darford Girls (9%).
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Although Townley's FSM pupils make up 11.3%, which is below the National average of 29.1%, it is still very impressive compared to other schools like NW (5.8%), TGS (2.9%), TWGGS (3.8%) or Darford Girls (9%).
Indeed. My point was that GS have traditionally had a low numbers of PP and they are being encouraged to improve. Which is why many GS have new policies designed to increase the amount of PP.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

It is to be encouraged as long as it is not being done purely for financial reasons. I believe the extra funds must be spent on each PP pupil, rather than on benefits for the school as a whole?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

thickasabrick wrote:
But is this inclusive or it would be exclusive to other group?
The admissions policy is not specific on this point:

Group 1: Girls living within a 9 mile radius of the school who are in receipt of Pupil Premium or Service Premium at the time of application to sit the test and are ranked in the top 350 of the rank order will automatically receive a place. Documentary evidence that the parent has been in receipt of the appropriate support payment entitling the child to Pupil Premium or Service Premium will be required.

This does not make it clear whether girls are ranked from all applicants or just within the 9m group.
But the statement above the definitions of the groups is something along the lines of, the overarching criterion being in the top 350, isn't it?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

bluesea wrote:It is to be encouraged as long as it is not being done purely for financial reasons. I believe the extra funds must be spent on each PP pupil, rather than on benefits for the school as a whole?
As far as I know there is no such limitation. However, if the extra funding is used, say, for a refurbishment of the computer lab or employment of a teacher, each and every pupil, both PP and non PP, will benefit from it, creating the greater good, I am sure.
Michelletinapope

Post by Michelletinapope »

I have no experience of Newsread Woods' admission process, but have followed this thread with interest. All grammar schools have a lower proportion of children who qualify for free school meals so they therefore receive less funding than other schools. Townley Grammar is one such example. Although Townley admit a higher number qualifying for pupil premium than its rival grammars its pupil premium is relatively (but considerably) lower and is extending its reach to attract more 'less privileged' children. Although some political pressure has been applied to achieve this outcome I wholeheartedly support it as children from lower income families must still acheive admirable results to ensure admission. For those who feel that any small 'leg-up' offered to talented 'poorer' children is unfair and jeopardises the chances of their children, I would suggest that they consider that many other children from prep schools and privileged families will take many more available places.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Schools have to publish hiw they have used the pupil premium money. It does not go into one big pot for general use.

For instance, some schools subsidise (or pay for) music lessons, breakfast clubs, hire a teacher to run intervention groups or work alongside the class teacher to support pp children. Services pupil premium (which is not lumped in with ’normal’ pupil premium) is often used to provide pastoral support for children whose parent may be deployed.
Qusay02

Post by Qusay02 »

Just to explain things:
I am not questioning the policy as whole and to give offers to Pupils with FSM. Just by stating 350 when the capacity of school itself is only 160. This is definitely a radical change of school procedure. My concern is rich people can afford private schools of course and children with PP would have a priority but what about the middle. I think to be fair; we have to consider all groups not only certain or specific one.
There are many families are not eligible for any benefit but also they struggle to pay their bills every month and they cannot afford private tutors as well. What about those????
We shouldn’t have a rigid view to things.
However; I do support children from less privileged background and I wish them the best but just to be fair to everyone; we should think of them all.

N.B: just a question: pupils who they spend over 6h on daily basis at school; why primary schools couldn’t do anything for them to make them academically as good as other pupils? Is it because of their few hours they spend at home (assuming 8hour to sleep) or because schools failed to do something to them.
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

Qusay02 wrote: N.B: just a question: pupils who they spend over 6h on daily basis at school; why primary schools couldn’t do anything for them to make them academically as good as other pupils? Is it because of their few hours they spend at home (assuming 8hour to sleep) or because schools failed to do something to them.
This just my experience from living and working in a "deprived" area, and there are obviously many exceptions, but PP students generally have parents with low qualifications (so not much use helping with homework let alone home tutoring) and not much spare cash for extras (everything from books to excursions and extra curriculum activities) and that is before paying for all the extras for the 11 plus. (CPG books, tutoring and mock tests, travel to out of catchment test centres) Schools will be spending their time getting them up to expected standard and not worrying too much about exceeded. "But what about libraries!!" Most people cry. :roll: Even if you've got a few A-Levels, if you're skint and living on rubbish food and not much heating, you are not going to have the energy to do more than the basics to keep your family going. It's similar with the 2 year child care offer. People are up in arms with "single mums from the council estate with flat screen tvs and sky" getting free childcare, when actually it's an extension of the nursery education grant to get the toddlers into pre-school earlier and surrounded by books.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Primary schools do everything they can to try and level the playing field. Teachers form an incredible bond with ‘their’ children and often provide book and equipment from their own pocket.