St Olaves Grammar, Orpington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
linny75

St Olaves Grammar, Orpington

Post by linny75 »

Hi all!

I'm just after some thoughts of St Olaves in Orpington? I know of the issues several years back with pastoral care, and the pressure on the kids etc. Has it much improved since? My DS will be taking 11+ exams this year, he is very academic, and hubby and I are trying to decide whether or not to even consider it. If you have a son who currently goes there, would love to get your feedback.

Many thanks!
PettswoodFiona

Re: St Olaves Grammar, Orpington

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD (Y11 about to start sixth form at the girl’s equivalent) has friends who have brothers there and they are thriving & happy. There are also others who are ready for a change by sixth form - much like any other school, but the majority do then to try and stay on which I think speaks volumes compared to some years. DD didn’t want to move to Olaves and most of her year group were of the same opinion but a few did - again similar proportions.

Bear in mind a recent adjudication found that there were question marks over whether it were lawful for Olaves to use the exam for external students but not their own sixth form candidates. This is still under review.

For 11+ it is highly selective due to no catchment and that can result in difficulties with knitting friendship groups from London Bridge to Tonbridge. Like any school it is about the right fit so if they are doing an open day, do visit, if you can’t please explain what your DS likes the most and hopefully those with sons at Olaves can best advise.
SydenhamDad

Post by SydenhamDad »

My son is in Year 12 and has enjoyed every moment at the school. His friends enjoy it too and they turn out really lovely boys. From my perspective any boy would be extremely fortunate to land a place here. Look at where they end up in terms of Oxbridge, medicine etc and they get there gently and supportively.
linny75

Post by linny75 »

@PettswoodFiona Unfortunately they have cancelled their open day due to covid, so it's so hard to get a feel for the school. For this reason, any kind of feedback would be amazing. My DS is very sporty and likes taking part in competition, and very much likes to try new things.

@SydenhamDad - thank you for your reply, that's very reassuring to hear.
nikki21

Post by nikki21 »

Hi, My son is currently at year10 and enjoying the school very much. He has nice sets of friends and play Tennis after school with them. There are some interesting clubs to join for eg VEX Robotics. I have no problem with the school so far and their communication with the parents also very good and well organized. There are some competitions that anyone can take part in to like Physics, computing and poem etc. The teaching is very good and most of the teachers are very knowledgeable and approachable.
My son passed all the grammar schools in Sutton borough but he chose St Olaves over it and not regretting so far.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now