Anyone with a daughter at Newstead Wood? Advice needed!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wowsaidtheowl

Re: Anyone with a daughter at Newstead Wood? Advice needed!

Post by Wowsaidtheowl »

No, we’re trying to figure out our options for September 22. I don’t want to put our daughter through an unnecessary exam. It’s a huge decision based on very little available information and therefore a bit of a nightmare! Thank you for your help and insider info.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

My daughter is starting in year 7 in September so while we have no direct experience of the school yet I can let you know a couple of things.
Firstly, we did manage to look round in Sept 19 (daughter's year 5) as we wanted my daughter to take a view before she embarked on any extra work to prepare for the entrance test. I have to say that our experience from my point of view was total underwhelm, mainly due to the sheer number of people attending the open day and a really uninformed 6th former showing us round. It was also very different from the glossy comp up the road with its new facilities and large classrooms. However, something clicked for my daughter as she walked out saying "I want to go to that school!" So as people have said previously, the girls don't notice the shabby buildings and cramped classrooms so much.
Secondly, the information and upbeat input we have received from the school since my daughter was offered a place has been great. I really feel like they care about the impression my daughter will have of the school prior to joining and their introductory videos/ evening of zoom meetings - including the headteacher, head of yr 7, head of wellbeing (or similar) and form teacher - have been so positive and have left my daughter proud and excited to be joining.
Finally I have to say that everyone I have met locally day-to-day (we live very near to the school) who is connected with the school such as ex-pupils, current parents and the PTA rep have been so friendly and happy to share information that again, our impression really has been very positive.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

Also, to add, I think there are a few introductory videos on the school website which may give you a better insight than a covid-friendly tour
Wowsaidtheowl

Post by Wowsaidtheowl »

I’m glad that it wasn’t just me that was totally underwhelmed! I suppose they’re so oversubscribed that they don’t need to put a lot of effort in! It is good to hear that induction has been well planned and that your daughter is excited- I hope she has a great start in September.
Vitochka

Post by Vitochka »

My daughter in Y10 and she loves Newstead way more than her independent primary. Yes, the school needs more funding for building repairs, but i am glad DD is looking beyond the building appearance.
I'd agree that toilets and school meals are not great. I'd say canteen got worse in the last couple of years, DD is taking food flask everyday to school now.
However, the biggest asset of the school are girls themselves. They all bright, curious, motivated to do well, eager to try new things. DD invited her school friends over to us a couple of times before the pandemic and i've observed how they communicate, what they are talking about. I see how they support and care for each other. I am very pleased they grow together as for teenagers what their friends think sometimes is more important than what parents think :D

There have been incidences where girls were struggling and this lead to mental issues. School tries to do their best, I think it is the pressure girls set themselves wanting to excel in all subjects. So this may be something to be aware of. DD doing well and happy there, I just keep reminding her during the end of year exams that the test results are not important.
Wowsaidtheowl

Post by Wowsaidtheowl »

No, she’s sitting the exam next week! I needed some insider info so I could make a decision on whether it would be a good fit for her. Not keen on her sitting an exam for no reason although she seems altogether more relaxed about it than me!

Post by 121 »

sobz70 wrote:Hi,
We live in Greenwich - the coach we use is organised by lewis coaches
http://www.lewis-school-travel.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can check if they do any routes via crystal palace? Most of the girls do use public transport though. Is your daughter starting in September?

Hello,

We were looking at Lewis Coaches and wondered how punctual their service was?

Any information would be really useful to guage an idea of the likelihood of being late or missing the coach is it left early etc

Thanks!