Move into Bexley after Passing the selective test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sajm

Move into Bexley after Passing the selective test

Post by sajm »

Hi,

My son has passed test but he is not in top 180. I know that we have to move into catchment area to be considered for the admission to Chislehurst, Bexley and Beth Grammar School. Can some one please advise which is best area to move. We are currently living in East London.

Also I am not sure that moving into catchment area will guarantee his place in any of these school. In this case should we still consider to move house. Would appreciate any advise with regards to my query.

Thanks
PeppermintCreams

Re: Move into Bexley after Passing the selective test

Post by PeppermintCreams »

You stand a very good chance of getting into Beths if you move into the borough and possibly Chis and Sid too as their catchment area in previous years has gone quite far out. You will only stand a good chance of getting into Bexley Grammar if you move within two miles of the school as their catchment is tiny. Nothing is ever guarenteed though. If you contact Bexley Council they will be able to tell you what the final date is for application is if you've moved address and what evidence you need and when.
sajm

Post by sajm »

Thanks for reply. As advised, I will contact Bexley Council for information about evidence of moving into Bexley area.

Do you know which one is better Bexley or Beths? Although I can see these schools are ranked really low here in the link:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-a ... e-tables2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bexley Ranked 92nd
Beths Ranked 136th

Do we consider this table when selecting school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You usually have to have really good evidence of moving fully ie not just a correspondence address you can use for the application, most people struggle to do this between the results and the time of the application / deadline for address evidence.

league tables aren't everything, where else have you looked at? Which school did you think would suit your child best when you visited?
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

sajm wrote:
Do you know which one is better Bexley or Beths? Although I can see these schools are ranked really low here in the link:
They are both very good schools, and quite different. Visit them and take a look at what suits you and your son and your needs. However my son is currently in year 7 at Beths and very happy.
padroeiro

Post by padroeiro »

sajm wrote:Thanks for reply. As advised, I will contact Bexley Council for information about evidence of moving into Bexley area.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-a ... e-tables2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bexley Ranked 92nd
Beths Ranked 136th

Do we consider this table when selecting school.
I wouldn't make decision purely on statistics. Unless you're concerned that sending your DC to 136th school as opposed to 92nd earns less bragging rights.

We have similar dilemma with choosing one of the Bexley grammars - and we live within the area. We've visited BGS so far and very much liked it. It is difficult to get the full picture having only spent 2-3 hours there but it definitely helps to build one.

Aside of statistics, that are pretty level for all 3 of them (BGS, C&S and Beths), there are many factors to consider:
- boys only (Beths) or mixed (C&S and BGS)
- commuting: walk, train or bus
- A levels (C&S and Beths) or IB (BGS)
- foreign languages available
- after school clubs
- sports

And most importantly - your DCs feelings, they may prefer to choose the school some of their primary classmates are also applying for, they may loathe flashy purple uniform etc :D
sajm

Post by sajm »

Thanks All for your replies. This will definitely help me to decide about the move and selection of school for my son.

My query with regards to move date and evidence I got following reply from Bexley Council.

""
Thank you for your e-mail.

If you make an on time application to you current Local Authority, the final date for Bexley to take the application over is 9 December 2019. Please note that we will need to see a copy of the new council tax or tenancy agreement by this date.

You will need to send a copy of the evidence via e-mail and copy both Local Authorities in, the your previous LA will be required to send us the application details.

Regards

Secondary Admissions Officer
""
crazed2021

Post by crazed2021 »

Hi Sajm,
How did things work out with your move?
Did the Bexley school accept your application and did they ask for any more information or proof of the move?

Thanks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

crazed2021 wrote:Hi Sajm,
How did things work out with your move?
Did the Bexley school accept your application and did they ask for any more information or proof of the move?

Thanks
I'm afraid you are unlikely to get an answer as Sajm last logged in in April 2020.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now