Computer based Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gillian

Computer based Tests

Post by Gillian »

Someone pointed out (in another thread in this section) that their primary school is starting to coach children on CD software for the 11 plus. I know that Eton suddently announced that this year's exams would be computer based.

I work at an independent secondary school who is also planning to have the tests conducted on computers, the aim is make the test harder as well as to reduce paperwork and marking. There will be a specific time allocated for answering each question. The pupils will not be able to answer the question after the allocated time (eg 10, 20, or 30 seconds ) and cannot go back to the question once they have moved on. We have had to introduce this to make the test harder due to the increase in the number of pupils getting higher marks.

Computer based testing is also being introduced for other exams in certain subjects such as the IGCSE in Geography and the GCSE in environmental Science. Languages are also likely to be going in this direction. I think it is only a matter of time before all multiple choice or short answer exams will be computer based.
Does anyone know of other schools where software is being used and how successful it has been.
Neela

Computer based tests

Post by Neela »

Yes, the primary school where i work uses the CD software to coach for the 11 plus , and it looks promising so far.

This is the first year we used it, so we have to wait and see how many of our pupils pass and secure places at some fo the top schools and whether there will be an improvement from previous years. We think there will be as we are encouraged by the result