St Olave's new boys - meet up?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
long and winding road

Re: St Olave's new boys - meet up?

Post by long and winding road »

Induction day tomorrow - how exciting - do they have to take a packed lunch - I can't find the letter with the info on it!
Would loved to join the picnic but Wed isn't the 7th August because we fly back from hols on Sunday 8th - do you mean Wed 11th? :?:
Treacle

Post by Treacle »

Just seen your message LAWR...It's late but maybe you will pop in early before the induction day :)

Yes, packed lunch needed and don't forget a PE kit too! Boys to be in their current school uniforms for the day as well.

For the life of me I am unsure why I put Weds 7th August. Madness and apologies.
Weds 11th August IS what I meant!

Please pass on to any others who may like to join us too...
long and winding road

Thanks Treacle - you're a life saver!
Have put the 11th in the diary!
:wink:
Treacle

Post by Treacle »

Right...Frogs mum...A summary of the induction day from four of the boys perspective...

"It's soooo big and I am glad we have a map"
"Homework? In the holidays? Massive fail"
"The science labs are so cool"
"We have got the best tutor ever"
"The teachers at St Olaves are so nice...especially the games teacher"
"I like the other boys"
"I like the tuck shop"
"I like the dinner hall"
"We did an IT lesson. It was wicked"

...and so on and so on :lol:

Basically, from what I can work out, they were put into their class groups, did a little tour of the school ("but not the sports hall - booo"), had an IT lesson (sounded like fun), then it was break time. They had a PE lesson in which they played tag rugby and the games teacher identified who were stronger players. Lunch (packed) was on the fields and the boys spent the rest of the time chatting.
A science lesson followed (fun again) and I really cannot fathom out what they did for the rest of the time. All of this is not in any order at all :D

Homework packs were issued as well as usernames and passwords for the boys to use a forum, set up for them all in the transition stage, to get to know each other/make plans and talk about rubbish :)

That's it I'm afraid - nothing really useful but as we all have boys at that age, I am sure you understand that they are rubbish at passing on info!

I did learn that if a boy has any medical needs then they should report to reception. That's the most informative thing I can tell you!

All the boys seemed to have big smiles on their faces upon collection at 3.30pm. That was lovely to see!
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

Thanks for that. I'll show him when he gets back. He went there for an hour on Friday which was just long enough to give him his homework :( He still doesn't know what form he will be in as they wanted the majority to find out first. Let me know what forms your boys are in so I can compare when the letter comes in. Sounds like the induction was fantastic and I'm feeling sad that he missed it. Hopefully he's having an amazing time in Norfolk to make up for it.
mosemant

Post by mosemant »

Hello

Two things - has anyone had trouble accessing the VLE site? My son didn't write down the username/password (great start) and was convinced he knows it, wondering now if the user name is the email address they were given and the two things they were given for password - is it upper, lower case or a mixture?

Also, pack says to obtain copy of Grange Enders from internet or Future Publishing - neither seem to have it, does anyone know where to find it? amazon and waterstones out of stock, future publishing only send out samples from the book......

Thanks!!!!!
long and winding road

will pm you
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

Could you send me the details too? My son wasn't on the induction day and I would love for him to get the chance to chat to his classmates before September. He's just found out he's in Harvard which sounds very posh :D . I too can't find that book anywhere - has anyone had any luck yet? Thanks.
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

St Olaves has a post on VLE that they are aware that the book is out of print and that there is no replacement.

I assume that means that we should not worry about this bit of homework for our DS.

The question is why parents are more worried about the homwwork?? My DS just wants to enjoy his holiday..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now