12+ in Bexley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Frankie

12+ in Bexley

Post by Frankie »

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this within the Bexley area as there doesn't appear to be much out there to refer to?

Thanks.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

my friends daughter took it a few years back and passed. Before she was allowed to take it they checked she was at an appropriate level for it. Once she passed my friend had to appeal to try and get her into the grammar she wanted as it was over-subscribed. The appeal was not a success so her dd went on the waiting list and eventually got a place about 18mths later. Thats all i know :D
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The 11+ system in Bexley is bad enough but the 12+ is a whole lot worse.
To be considered for the 12+, the child needs to be working at all high level 5s to 'match the kids already at the grammar schools' as per the council. A secondary school report is also required to support this. At this point the child is invited to take the 12+ test.

Now the really bad bit, if the child passes there are normally no vacancies so it's a complete waste of time. Most successes come from a child who has scored very highly indeed and has gone on to have a successful appeal.

Just to make things worse, not all kids who have passed the 11+ work at level 5 in year 7, nowhere near, which deprives others. Just makes a mockery out of the whole system.
electro

12+ in Bexley

Post by electro »

We were considering this as an option for our son, he attends the only boys comp in Bexley and is really happy & settled there, it is also meant to be one of the better comps in the borough (although Bexley comprehensives are not all ability).

However we have found that although our son is in the top set, he is cruising and the school isn't pushing or challenging him enough at present. I have spoken to other parents from my primary school all with boys who also just missed the 11+ and they feel the same.

Regarding the 12+ you will not receive any help from the school, not surprisingly, our neighbour's son was in the top set & they approached Bexley council to take the test, the school to state in writing that the child is working to grammar level.

They informed me that the distance from the nearest suitable grammar school was even more important for the 12+ entry.
dani*

Post by dani* »

What I find confusing about the 12 + is that a child should be working at a good level 5, however it was my understanding that in order to have a chance of passing the 11+ one would need to be working at level 5. Does this mean that both the 11+ and the 12+ are about the same difficulty level?

Thanks
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

dani* wrote:What I find confusing about the 12 + is that a child should be working at a good level 5, however it was my understanding that in order to have a chance of passing the 11+ one would need to be working at level 5. Does this mean that both the 11+ and the 12+ are about the same difficulty level?

Thanks
Difficult one. Obviously if a child has reached level 5 accross the board on entering year 6 ready to take the 11 plus then they would probably be predicted a very comfortable pass - In my area they pass the top 23% of all year 6 pupils- in my dd's class 25% passed and i would think only 2 of these were all level 5's when they took the test. Most were level 4a and will be leaving primary with level 5's

I also hear that primary level 5 is easier that level 5 work at secondary

:)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now