Living in Thamesmead - can we still apply

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shahinoor

Living in Thamesmead - can we still apply

Post by shahinoor »

Hi

My son is just entering year 5 this Sept. We live in Thamesmead. Can we still apply for the two Grammar schools in Bexley (Beths and bexley Grammar)?

what are the chances - is there a bias against if you don't live in the area?

Thanks

shahinoor
Clark69

Re: Living in Thamesmead - can we still apply

Post by Clark69 »

Thamesmead is split between two boroughs. Half is in Greenwich and half is in Bexley so depending on which half you live will make a difference as to how you apply but yes, you are still able to apply for either Grammar School if your DS attains a selective score on his 11plus. If he attends a Bexley Primary School he will be automatically entered for his 11plus but if he attends a Greenwich PS or Church school then you will have to apply to enter him for the 11plus. The last few years the distance for both these schools has slightly varied but you can find this information on page 20 on "Admission to Secondary Schools in Bexley 2010" which can be viewed on the Bexley website http://www.bexley.gov.uk.
If he should score in the top 180 of candidates taking the exam then he would be guaranteed your first preference regardless of any distance. All the best.
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

Thanks for this - we live in Greenwich part.
So if we move to Bexley does the child have a better chance of entering a grammar school?
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Not necessarily it depends where in Bexley. The admissions booklet for this year (available on the council website) will show you the distances which the schools went out to in the last five years. This will give you an idea if your address falls within these distances and how likely it is that your child will get a place.

We live right over in Greenwich, five miles from our first choice Grammar school but my daughter got a place! Starting next week! Good luck to all of you going through the process this year.
dani*

Post by dani* »

According to the admissions booklet this year Bexley Grammar has gone out 3.9 miles (which is about a mile more than in the two previous years) and Beths 5.3 miles. It may be worthwhile considering C&S who have gone out 5.9 miles.

nb - It appears Townley has offered all applicants have been offered places. I wonder why this school seems to have fallen out of flavour.

Greenwhich mum, Good luck to you and your daughter next week. Do you mind telling us if your address falls within the distance as stated in the booklet. I wonder how accurate these are.

We live less than 0.5 miles from C&S, however, when we looked at schools last year we were very impressed with Bexley grammar, unfortunately our address is only just within the distance in the booklet. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to visit this school with DD if it is unlikely she will get in, that is provided we pass.
Last edited by dani* on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Dani,

I was worried when i saw that too. its weird how all applicants could have been offered a place. Is it because people get their results before they apply for schools. That was one of the top choices for my dd but am beginnning to think about it again. Seems Dartford girls beat them in the last set of GSCE scores. ummm food for thought. what do u think?
dani*

Post by dani* »

We looked at Dartford girls last year and I was really impressed with it. Unfortunately from where we live our DD would need to do exceptionally well to get in. Apparently this school is difficult to get in to if one doesn't live close, therefore I don't think this would be a realistic choice for us. :(

As far as Townley is concerned, we didn't look at this school. I'm sure it is a very nice school but I don't like it's location. (Broadway Shopping Centre). I know a few people who have children at Townley and they complain about peer pressure to hang out at the shopping centre after school. I'm not sure how big a problem this really is but I don't think it is for us.

As far as GCSE results are concerned, I'm not worried about the tables. I think the league tables can be deceptive. For example if you look at the difference between C&S and BGS there is only 2 or 3 % between them according to the A-C tables, however I saw tables published based on the number of A* AND A's published and there was a significant difference between the 2 schools.
Last edited by dani* on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Dani,

Thanks for letting me know. Ihave heard about the boradway issues as well plus gangs from other schools causing trouble and apparently there is constant police presence at the Broadway after school. The other issue i have is they have the largest number of intakes amongst all the schools. I live in Sidcup so am not sure what to do. According to the open day schedule there does not seem to be enough time to view the schools from when the CAF forms have to be sent back in.
Do you know when the kent open evening are?
dani*

Post by dani* »

A friend of mine lives in Joydens Wood and will be applying for Dartford. I plan to see her in the weekend and will have a look in the booklet. I will post them during the weekend.

My current back up plan, that is if we fail Bexley because of the high pass mark but pass Dartford, we would be looking at Wilmington Grammar (this is where we will be taking the test). Bus to Bexley village and change to bus B12.

However if you think your DD can cope with the pressure it may be worthwhile to consider Newstead Woods. This is said to be a very nice school, but I'm not sure if our DD would cope with the pressure.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

My DD will be taking her Kent test at Wilmington too. I wonder if I can get the booklet if I call KCC. I have thought of Newstead. Even though she is very strong in VR and Non Vr, I am really worried about the pressure too and will not want to spend the next five yrs paying tutors to help her catch up. I actually ruled out taking the newstead test but I have been told to give her the chnace to take the test. It is soooo worrying. My dd is also taking BHS test in January, I am swaying a bit that way but dont know if I can justify paying the extra compared to the selective schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now