Local Comprehensives

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
blessedmum

Local Comprehensives

Post by blessedmum »

As final final back up!!!
Does anyone have any views or advice about Local comprehensives for girls in Sidcup area. The ones I have heard of are Blackfen for girls and Beaverwood school. Am i right? any thoughts please will be most welcome. Cant have all my chicks in one basket.
dani*

Re: Local Comprehensives

Post by dani* »

I took DD to the open evening at Beaverwood last week. DD loved the school so much that she decided this is where she want to go regardless of the 11+ result. Of course she has not seen the Grammar Schools. Unfortunately, I believe you may have missed the open evening, unless there is more than one but I'm not aware about this. We are having a second look at this school on Friday morning. If you would like to consider this school perhaps you may want to look on their website for the dates of the open mornings. I would be a shame to miss the opportunity to look around.

I looked at Blackfen last year, without DD but I didn't like it. To be honest as it stands I can only think of one comp. choice to put on the form and that is Beaverwood. I have no idea how I'm going to manage to list 6.
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

I think Coopers Technology College is also quite popular. Its a mixed school.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Thats my problem Dani.
If we do not get through selection, I cannot come with enough comprehensives that will make up to 6 choices.
To be fair, I probably will go for indie if we dont get a grammar place but its just nice to have the choice. Beaverwood is not within Bexley though or am I wrong? Do they take a lot of girls from Sidcup area?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

If you have the time, try to visit as many as poss, even the ones that you don't think you are interested in.
I found it a great help to assess what I thought of the school beforehand and reality.
It also helps you to establish what school your child feels comfortable in.
Of course there were those that really did live up to their reputations, unfortunately :roll:
VI DD

Post by VI DD »

Another problem with Blackfen is the tight catchment area! I didn't look around it with my other DD as we are 3 miles and at that time they only went out 1.3 miles :shock: but this DD wants to go for a visit as I have friends with daughters there so we will go and have a look.
Last edited by VI DD on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Thank you Tracy and VI DD.

I will go and have a look at Blackfen. will check online to see when the open evening is? Any thoughts about Cleeve park. I have not heard a lot of positives and my dd on her way to sch a few years back(to get to her previous primary we had to go past cleeve park) she has witnessed several fights outside the school, once I had to stop an attack on a girl. So dd has nightmares when I say the name but all that was a few years back. DD was quite little then. I guess bad memories linger.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Beaverwood belongs to Bromley however they take a lot of children from our Primary school/ Bexley. When looking at distance don't forget that Bromley measure distance '' as the crow flies'' not over the road. It would appear that last year the school has gone out slightly further than previous years. When I raised this with one of the teachers she said she thought one of the reasons could be that Coopers school is getting more popular.

I think it is worth arranging a visit.

I have looked at secondary schools last year, however from the options available to us Beaverwood is by far the best non selective I have seen, the other ones I visited still give me bad dreams. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in Sidcup/Bexley.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

dani* wrote:Beaverwood belongs to Bromley however they take a lot of children from our Primary school/ Bexley. When looking at distance don't forget that Bromley measure distance '' as the crow flies'' not over the road. It would appear that last year the school has gone out slightly further than previous years. When I raised this with one of the teachers she said she thought one of the reasons could be that Coopers school is getting more popular.

I think it is worth arranging a visit.

I have looked at secondary schools last year, however from the options available to us Beaverwood is by far the best non selective I have seen, the other ones I visited still give me bad dreams. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in Sidcup/Bexley.

I know what you mean. I know people who move into the area because of the grammars, but don't think about the alternatives if their DC doesn't pass the 11+. My daughter would do far better in a good comprehensive as she is dyslexic and although bright would probably not keep up at grammar school as she tends to think quite slowly. However I'm not sure the non-selective schools will suit her either as I'm concerned she will get bored. I think she will take off during secondary school so at a proper comp she would hopefully have the chance of moving up and down sets.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I agree with Dani's post on Beaverwood and Coopers.

If Cooper's is becoming more popular, it will take girls who would have gone to Beaverwood. This in turn creates space at Blackfen as some of those girls now go to Beaverwood.
Add Harris into the mix and the catchments could really change at Blackfen. Many parents I visited with far preferred Harris to Blackfen.

Cleeve Park is certainly worth a visit. It does get a bad press, undeservedly in my opinion, and it does have it probs but it is still far superior to Welling and Bexleyheath. I used to work there so can help with any questions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now