Newstead - Timing vs Questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lashingsofgingerbeer

Newstead - Timing vs Questions

Post by lashingsofgingerbeer »

Help! I'm trying to get my daughter's timing up to speed for the Bexley tests. I know all the Bexley information about the tests but whilst trying to time DD in preparation for them it struck me that thre is no information about how many questions there are in total for each Newstead test paper.

I know both tests are 40 minutes each and the NVR test is split into sections of 10 minutes each but I can't find any information in last year's pack/the school website/Bromley Council's website about how many questions are in each test. Are the specimen papers they sell just a taster in terms of timing & how many questions appear in them as they say 25-30 & 30 minutes are recommended on them?

Any information would be gratefully received as my head is starting to spin now :roll:
Ang's mom

Re: Newstead - Timing vs Questions

Post by Ang's mom »

I have the same questions too.This is one exam (the Newstead one) thats shrouded in mystery. :?

I wouldn't place much trust on the questions booklet that the school gives, as in they have been around for ages and I doubt they fully reflect the type of questions that could come up. I am just hoping all the preparations we have done for the Bexley and Kent tests would help us in the Newstead exam.

That said, if anyone has any information, please do share it here.
lashingsofgingerbeer

Post by lashingsofgingerbeer »

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this Ang's Mum. If anyone out there can help us/can remember, please could you reply or pm us :?:

It seems strange for the other counties to give out this information early on but nothing from Newstead. When questions vs. timing are so different for each set of tests it seems like it's shrouded in mystery to stop anyone finding out & if that's the case, surely each school should follow the same set of guidelines to make it fair to everyone sitting them? As if the process isn't stressful enough for everyone!
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Sorry for replying a bit late to your posting, but just came upon this thread.I recall my DD saying the actual test was harder than the sample paper, but more importantly you had to work at lightening speed to get through all the questions within the given time. Another girl in her class sitting the test didn't manage to finish the VR paper and unfortunately didn't get sufficient marks.It all comes down to practice, practice as has been mentioned so many times on this forum!. Will be glad to help with any other questions - will get info from DD if necessary