Maths tutor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dani*

Maths tutor

Post by dani* »

Does anyone know a good maths tutor in Sidcup for a year 2. I feel DD is too young to go to group tutors. She does not have any problems but could do with a boost. Teaching at school is not great.

Thanks.
yoyo123

Re: Maths tutor

Post by yoyo123 »

can't help with a tutor , but there are lots of things you could do with her to boost her confidence.

look at http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there are some excellent online activities. There is a wealth of resources if you google. I find new stuff every day.

get her to help you lay the table and pair socks after washing. Weighing ingredients when you are cooking. Simple addition, multiplication when shopping ( how many will we need for the week etc?) There are a lot of times tables CDs available too, brilliant for car journeys. Finds a dot to dot book, blank out the numbers and then write in multiples of 2, 5 or 10. or colour by numbers using simple sums.

In year 2 she won't be able to concentrate for great periods of time ( language experts reckon a minute per year of their age) and most tutors do hour sessions. Make maths fun and part of everyday life. With Christmas coming up there are lots of mathematical activities - make Christmas decorations and involve measuring and shape. Ratio and proportion can be taught by making biscuits. Paper chains could teach number - how many different chains can you make with 2 colours, 3 colours, 4 colours?..
moved

Post by moved »

Lots of fun, as suggested by Yoyo.

There are lovely workbooks available in Smiths/Waterstones that cover maths skills. You could do these at home together. One page per day at the weekend. There are great CDs for computer game related learning.

If you want to monitor her progress then Wigan council have produced tests for each term of each year group at
http://wiganschoolsonline.net/curriculu ... ssess.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dani*

Post by dani* »

Thanks for all your kind advise, very much appreciated.

The problem is that we have just done our Bexley and Kent 11+ the DIY way and I really can not face doing more school work right now. A few extra days a week would do me nicely. Not waiving but sinking!