Views of Attending Open Days a Year in Advance?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Victoriapoggins

Views of Attending Open Days a Year in Advance?

Post by Victoriapoggins »

Hi,

I have just registered for the Forum & send my congratulations & best wishes to all of the children & parents who have received results today. Viewing posts on the forum it is evident how hard all have worked & you are all very supportive parents.

So my daughter is a year behind yours (yr 5). We are OOB in Greenwich, but very close to Bexley as we live in Shooters Hill.

My daughter has been seeing a tutor for the past 6 months. Although a year behind potential application date, her tutor has suggested it would be an idea to visit the forthcoming open days. The idea is that it will hopefully inspire & excite her. I had planned to take her, but my husband is concerned it may put her under pressure early.

If anyone is actually still awake after celebrations, I'd welcome thoughts on this?
hermanmunster

Re: Views of Attending Open Days a Year in Advance?

Post by hermanmunster »

I think early open days are a good thing - the ones nearer the test / CAF are more likely to feel pressured than going in year 5.
Also if you get any clashes in year 6 over dates or can't make an open day then it doesn't matter so much.. Also you may wish to go back and have another look in year 6.... can get quite a different view on things.!
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

I would highly recommend. We did them last year and I'm so pleased we did as open days are so soon after results and caf deadline so close I would been overwhelmed to make such a big decision so based on one visit and so quickly. now it feels like going back to do a second viewing of a house (or three) ...
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Definitely would recommend going to a couple in year5. They are so big and different to junior schools so visiting this year will get your DC prepared for this. The analogy to buying houses is a good one.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sounds ok to me, in our district some of the schools do a 'taster day' ( I hate that phrase!) for year 5's.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Victoriapoggins

Your tutor is spot on. We did this with dd2 last year and it did really inspire her to work hard. We have just received good news with regards to her test results.

All the best with your dc

x
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi

I agree, as much as anything from a logistical point of view. It helps take the stress out of year 6 if you've done a lot of the groundwork in year 5. My DS is also Y5 and preparing for 11+ so I'm sure we'll be sharing tips (and maybe some of the stress and anxiety!) over the coming year x
Victoriapoggins

Post by Victoriapoggins »

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my query so quickly.

It was very reassuring to get your thoughts & so as a result we went to Chis & Sid this morning. All I can say is WOW - I wish I could have my time all over again & have the opportunity to learn at such an amazing school! My daughter came away with a definite spring in her step.....

This was my first post on the forum, I have read many of the current yr 6 entries & see that lots of abbreviations are used, such as DD - please can someone enlighten me on the codes?!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Welcome to the forum Victoriapoggins - There is a post on Forum Abbreviations
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now