Is my DS the only one in Bexley who didnt make it?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Muggle

Re: Is my DS the only one in Bexley who didnt make it?

Post by Muggle »

Alessandra24 wrote:Ok, My DS also took Kent and fingers crossed we could get good news on monday 17th. I wish you all the best!
Many best wishes that you get the news you hope for on Monday. GOOD LUCK.
Alessandra24

Post by Alessandra24 »

Thanks Push-pull-mum, the forum is really good and supportive. ''Knowledge is power'' they say. I wish I would have joined before or during the 11+ preparations, I would have known more to better prepare my DS. but no regrets! and no need for shoulda, woulda, coulda!! we learn everyday and I have another DS who is in year 3 now and we will definitely be well prepared for the test by then. Cheers :)

Best wishes to everyone!!!
Torty

Post by Torty »

It must be very hard for all who do not get the results they hope for, but as said you have all done a great job in supporting and helping your DD/DS through such a stressful moment in their lives. :) And well done for giving them that opportunity. Also ... well done DD/DS for showing the ability to sit the exams and for trying hard no matter what the result. :)

We have not sat the exams as we are staying at Wickham Court School for Year 7. I find this forum great and so supportive, and the people so friendly. :D But, at present we are not part of the buzz of exams ... and also we have chosen the best school for our DD that seems to be poorly considered and poorly rated by so many here ... so sometimes feel 'inconsequential' (if that is the right feeling/word to use?) on this forum. But us as a family sing from the rafters about our DD school ... it is amazing and so right for her and so many children and so worth a look (and inexpensive too!). :D

Good luck Alessandra24 and all who do not get their 1st school choice ... and who knows what lies ahead and lets hope the future is bright for all our children. For surely this forum unites us all, showing that we all have one thing in common - wanting the best educationally for our children. :D
malibu

Post by malibu »

sherry_d wrote: I wondered too if people who didn't make it just didn't have the guts to post, the appeal section obviously shows not everyone here passes.
sherry_d is right. I didn't have the guts to post that my DS didn't make it. :oops:
However, he did pass the Kent Test :shock:
dani*

Post by dani* »

Malibu,

Pleased to hear your DC passed the Kent test. But check the criteria of the schools carefully when you apply, unlike Bexley, Dartford favour their own residents.

Good luck and well done!
malibu

Post by malibu »

Thank you dani*.
I will be studying the admissions criteria for the schools I'm interested in and no doubt will ask plenty of questions.
christ

Post by christ »

Trust me I feel your pain, my son missed it by 3% four years ago, he's my second son (the first passed and went to BGS), after appealing, losing, then going to the head of child services with no success, he ended up going to St Columbus (a school with a bad reputation) he's top set and loving every minute of it, to the extent I feel a bit silly about making all the fuss.
Luckily this time my daughter has passed both the Kent and the Bexley test so it's a good year for us, that said I can assure you she is no more intellegent that many who have missed out this year.
The moral of the story is: no child is washed up at 11, it is a greater achievement to go to a Comp and be offered a sixth form Gammar place than going all the way through a Grammar school in my book.
As nice as some of the people are on this forum I think sometime it's not about the kids at all, it's more like bragging rights for the parents. I know children who's parents have been running around the playground punching the air in delight because there child has passed for it to all turn sour when they've been called up the school because there child is way off the pace, best off in a Comp me thinks.
It's a rubbish system, but it's there so we have to play the game.
I think all schools should have a radius they draw there pupils from.
Good luck for the future.
dani*

Post by dani* »

I strongly disagree. Although I agree that some parents' behaviour at the school gate may be out of order I can not see any reason we should not celebrate the fact that our DC passed the 11+ and I'm definitely not going to feel guilty about it.

It may not be a great system, but no system is perfect and if people don't like it than perhaps that is something to consider when moving in to a GS area. A few years ago we were thinking about moving and schools were a major consideration in our decision.

Also considering that most primaries in Bexley do not support the 11+ how does this place them to advise if a child is suitable for GS or not? In my experience and at our Primary the majority of kids on top tables have been on them since reception and little consideration has been given to those in the middle i/e their potential has not truly been explored.

A child with supportive parents will do well regardless of where they go to school, nevertheless I'm happy that my very average DD has passed and managed to secure a place at a school where she is happy and thriving. This has nothing to do with "bragging rights".

Also if you believe it is a greater achievement to go to a comp and move to a GS for sixform, does that mean that you will be sending your DD to the local comp. instead? There is no rule saying you have to take a GS place just because a child passes the 11+
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

dani* wrote:I strongly disagree. Although I agree that some parents' behaviour at the school gate may be out of order I can not see any reason we should not celebrate the fact that our DC passed the 11+ and I'm definitely not going to feel guilty about it.

It may not be a great system, but no system is perfect and if people don't like it than perhaps that is something to consider when moving in to a GS area. A few years ago we were thinking about moving and schools were a major consideration in our decision.

Also considering that most primaries in Bexley do not support the 11+ how does this place them to advise if a child is suitable for GS or not? In my experience and at our Primary the majority of kids on top tables have been on them since reception and little consideration has been given to those in the middle i/e their potential has not truly been explored.

A child with supportive parents will do well regardless of where they go to school, nevertheless I'm happy that my very average DD has passed and managed to secure a place at a school where she is happy and thriving. This has nothing to do with "bragging rights".

Also if you believe it is a greater achievement to go to a comp and move to a GS for sixform, does that mean that you will be sending your DD to the local comp. instead? There is no rule saying you have to take a GS place just because a child passes the 11+
Well said Dani. Parents celebrate different things. Some celebrates 11 plus success and admission into GS, some celebrates sport success such as Karate, judo, football etc while some celebrates music, dance and stage success. It worths celebration after the had work, sacrifice and financial cost as well.
I know a lady who reduced her job to 3 days a week in order to provide necessary support for her daughter and two weeks before exam she started her annual leave, she spent a lot of money on tuition right from year 4 and now she is smiling with her daughter. We should not forget the had work parents have put into this exam. I am parent and tutor, it worths celebration. We only need to be sensitive when celebrating. I am one of the parents who celebrated my son in his school after working hard and score 100% in the two exams. It is not bragging but joy of the favour of God and hard work from the three parties-child, parent and tutor. Although my son's school teacher told me yesterday that he was the most sensitive pulpil in the class. He did not look down on the others and did not talk about it much in fact, it was other children who was announcing his score. If some parents ask for advice, let us give it to them as many are approaching 11plus wrongly. 11plus is not quick fix but it requires a good preparation. Please start early and use the right resources. Preparation is hallmark of every success. You either fail to prepare or you prepare to fail. Not only to prepare but adequate preparation. When you prepare well and your child did not meet the selective mark, you can know deep down in your heart that you have tried your best for your child. Going to Grammar school worths every stress and penny. I have worked in some comprehensive schools as a teacher and I do not pray for my worst enemy's child to go into such comprehensive schools. What is your priority?
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

malibu wrote:
sherry_d wrote: I wondered too if people who didn't make it just didn't have the guts to post, the appeal section obviously shows not everyone here passes.
sherry_d is right. I didn't have the guts to post that my DS didn't make it. :oops:
However, he did pass the Kent Test :shock:
Congratulations to your DS and yourself. I am yet to understand why many who passed Kent did not pass Bexley as many of the children confirmed that Bexley was easier than Kent. May be they should give us the opportunity to see our kids papers after the result. I am yet to meet one child who did not agree that Bexley test was easier than kent
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now