any knowledge of the St Olave's chorister scheme?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
plusMum

Re: any knowledge of the St Olave's chorister scheme?

Post by plusMum »

Thanks to everyone for your really useful feedback.

Many congratulations to Snowybird!
Utopia

Post by Utopia »

Snowybird-our son has applied for the Chorister scheme. We would appreciate some tips. For example, how did you prepare your son for the vocal test? What previous experience did he have? Anything else you think we should know? Thank you!
Snowybird

Post by Snowybird »

My son was already a chorister in our local church choir and also sang in the school choir which is selective. This gave him the confidence to sing alone, and I think this is expected given that the boys audition for the Savoy at 9 or 10 rather than 7 or 8 as they do for cathedral choirs. So if you do any preparation at all, just prepare your son to sing to the piano. It doesn't matter what he sings as long, it doesn't have to be a religious song. There's no need to prepare for the aural tests. If your son has a musical ear he will be able to do them without preparation. The test is unlikely to be more than about five minutes - as you might imagine, it doesn't take long to form a judgment. Obviously the Master of the Music is looking for genuine musicality but he also wants to find boys who understand what is involved and are prepared to commit.
Once our son passed the vocal test, we took him to the chapel for a service, allowed him to observe what the choristers do and to understand a little of the commitment involved, then asked him again whether he could imagine himself doing that every week. Thankfully he is very happy as a chorister and enjoys every rehearsal and every service.
If you would like to speak, just send a PM.

Snowy
Utopia

Post by Utopia »

Thanks Snowybird. That's really useful. My son is not a chorister but he is musical, and can sing. Obviously, committment is a large part of it, so we will take him along to a service and detail the rehearsals to him. Will keep you posted!
Snowybird

Post by Snowybird »

Very best wishes to your son - I hope the test goes well for him.

Snowy
natpat75

Post by natpat75 »

Hi .. I know the posts on here are quite old so hoping some people are still around??! My son is currently a chorister (to my surprise) and really enjoys it so am thinking of letting him take the test next month! ( lots of work to do)

How are the boys who joined in previous years getting on?
Do you know if the actual no of boys taking the opportunity has increased over the years/ how many took it in 2014 for example.. does anyone know?

Any help would be much appreciated.
hornetgirl

Post by hornetgirl »

Phew! My DS sat the exam this morning, he seemed happy when he came out but that is no guarantee of quality LOL!

Just have to wait for the results now to see if he gets through to the audition. If only it was the other way round I would have been happier.
natpat75

Post by natpat75 »

Yes my boy took the test today also..he seemed happy enough..just a waiting game now. And after months of asking why he had to do it now says that he really wants to go there! !! Ooh pressure!! Lol..good luck
hornetgirl

Post by hornetgirl »

I was the mum in the red and grey raincoat waiting at the end. Good luck to your son too.
Samaameen100

Post by Samaameen100 »

Hello
My son is attempting his Choister exam this April. He loves singing and has just completed his grade 3 singing. We both are really unsure on how it is going to be if he decides to go for it. I would really appreate some feedback on after admission how are tye sessions held. When they go to London for practice are the meant to be accompanied by the parent or do the choir group go together in the train. Do they have time to join other activities like my son loves cricket and does not want to give that up because of this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now