Newstead wood vs JAGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nikki's mum

Newstead wood vs JAGS

Post by nikki's mum »

Hi there,
I am finding very difficult to decide which school is better for my DD.
She is on top of the waiting list in Newstead wood and she has got an offer from JAGS.
Please advise ASAP.
layla22

Re: Newstead wood vs JAGS

Post by layla22 »

I'd say go for JAGS. NWS is a bit pot luck who you get for teachers. The good ones are extremely good and the bad ones.....!?!
Also, lack of discipline amongst girls, not to mention bullying that seems to get brushed under the carpet.
Surprised at a superselective?Yes! That's why my DD is moving 6th form!!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

layla22, have you told the school about the bullying? Where are thinking of going for 6th Form? Best of luck to your DD.
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hi bromley mum,
Sorry- Nikki's mum- if I sound rather bitter!
Yes the bullying was reported. Eventually DD had to move class and try and fit in again with girls that had already formed their friendship groups- not very easy.But, to reach that stage it took 6 months after DD could not take it anymore( I had already taken her out of school for a week to go away with her father for a break- cost me £900 for a last minute flight).
Even took this to the HT, this time last year. She said she would talk to some a of the girls involved and write to us. Her letter never materialised!
Well, we have put this all behind us now and DD has turned from a bubbly, happy-go-lucky girl to being rather cynical and wary of people. Good thing or bad?- A lesson in life I would say.
Anyway DD has gained a place at St Olave's for the 6th form- better at sciences there and better discipline- to start Sept 2012. Quite a few of her year friends are also going, so she is happy about that and really can't wait to start.
Good luck with your choice Nikki's mum. :)
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Hi all - could you tell me what JAGS stands for? I am in Bexley area so presume this is a Bromley School but have never come across this abbreviation before.

Thanks in anticipation.
lefol

Post by lefol »

It stands for James Allens Girls School in Dulwich , a very nice school. I know 2 families with DDs there and hey speak well of the school.

Sorry to hear about the bullying Layla , I hope the school have learnt better from this even if it was an isolated incident .
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Thanks for the info.

CB
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Sorry to say it wasn't an isolated incident. My DD has spoken to a number of girls senior to her, since the incident and the feedback she has had is that it is quite prevalent. As to how much you hear of it depends how much DDs or parents make of it. Some parents ,like me choose to make a stand, and "kick up a fuss" about it and my DD was quite prepared to let me stand up for her, but there are other DDs who "don't want to rock the boat" in case it makes thing worse.
I don't wish to alarm anyone , just be aware of it, and give your DDs some coaching on how to tackle issues like these if they arise.
As for the bad teaching- I've tried to no avail- We need a private tutor now in physics to get her thru the GCSE this summer, hence my posting on the GCSE thread!

It doesn't get easier after the 11+, does it?!?
slug

Post by slug »

sorry to hear about your daughter , i am sorry to confirm her bullying is not an isolated incident and i agree the school do not tackle these incidents with any enthusiasm . i am sure she will flourish at her new school , well done to her for getting into olaves .
nikki's mum

Post by nikki's mum »

Thanks a lot for the replies so far.

Layla22, I am sorry to know about the incident. I am sure your DD will be fine in new school with her friends.

Slug also mentioned that it is not an isolated incident of bullying.

How is the education as Layla22 mentioned - "NWS is a bit pot luck who you get for teachers". I suppose it will be same in any school.

All the best for your DDs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now