Not long to go & feeling it!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Victoriapoggins

Not long to go & feeling it!

Post by Victoriapoggins »

I have not been very active in the forum, but feel this could be about to change.

We have just got back from an idyllic, 11+ free holiday in Devon. I promised my dd no homework at all during this time & although we've been back for half a week still have not been able to bear picking up the books yet! The weather forecast is good & our local lido beckons.

She's had such a lovely time enjoying her childhood & yesterday even got out her old Sylvannian Families.

This morning I have explained its time that we re-start on 11+ prep with 1x 50 min paper & 1 x 10 min every day. This has been met with what can only be described as horror. Lots of tears, hiding under the duvet, saying she hates her tutor etc.

I've kept really calm & let her feel the pain & the tears flow. Left her to play with Sylvanians again for 30 mins then we shall get some fresh air by walking the dog & then time to start today. I've explained it's only a little over an hour each day, she will still have all the other hours in the day & we will go to the lido in the afternoons, have fun etc.

Also explained she has worked so hard for 18 months now, its only 5 weeks left & soon after this all will be over.

I really feel like I need to dig deep now to find reserves of positive energy now to support her. I'm as sick of this whole process as she is!

How's everyone else finding it?

I'm wondering about going against all advise & offering reward of limited edition Harry Potter wand she's got her eye on - not for passing, simply for going through process. Is this is good/bad idea?
bondgirl

Re: Not long to go & feeling it!

Post by bondgirl »

I know how you're feeling VP. We also had a completely 11+ free holiday then DS was at the tutor the day after we got back. She actually went quite easy on him this week, homework-wise and he's finished the last bit of work this morning before going off to tennis but he did comment how pleased he will be when this is all over. I echoed the sentiment but I did point out that he'll never have to work in the summer holidays again as no other exams are in September. He seemed quite happy at that thought.

I have been bribing DS for working (he gets the money when the exams are over) and he is saving hard for a particular tennis racket he wants. That does seem to be motivating him. I'm rewarding the effort he is putting in rather than the outcome. I would say go for it re the Harry Potter wand. Maybe you could give her a certain amount per paper which she can use to buy the wand when the exams are over.

No long to go now.... :shock:
Victoriapoggins

Post by Victoriapoggins »

Thanks so much Bond Girl, that's great advice & I put into practice.

DD was absolutely delighted when I put your idea of paying her for each test paper completed (without moaning) and saving money for wand. She's got the leaflet out with the details of the wand & looks like this is just the motivational trick we needed!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

I'm glad it worked :D I'm sure these last few weeks are going to fly by. Then we'll just have results day(s) to fret about :?
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

My DD took the 11 plus 3 years ago. We had the same problem after our summer hols she did not want to do any more work and became upset etc. I made the decision not to push it as I didn't want her to become stressed nearer the exam, it worked for us she did no more study and relaxed and went into the exam ok and passed, she has been at Grammar school for two years is about to start year nine and loves it! everyone has to handle their child their own way but knew for my DD at that point the right thing to do was take the pressure off. Good luck every one.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now