Bromley High Senior School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

duomaman

Bromley High Senior School

Post by duomaman »

Hi ,
I'm new to the Forum. My dd has been offered a place at BH starting in Yr 7 this September. We loved the school when we visited it on the Open Day and thought the girls and teachers we spoke to were great. However, we haven't spoken to any parents of senior girls. Any advice for prospective parents?
Also we have a slight concern that the school's ranking in the 2011 A level league tables has gone down this year. Does anyone know why this might be?
lefol

Re: Bromley High Senior School

Post by lefol »

Hi,

Well done to your dd for getting an offer from Bromley High. It may be a good idea to move this topic to the independent school forum as you will get more responses. Blessed mum has a dd at Bromley High and she will be along soon to give you good sound advice . I have heard so many good things about the school. Last year there was a lot of threads about Bromley High. Their GCSEs results remain consistently high but blessed mum or someone else may explain he discrepancy with the a levels, as I could not find the previous years results.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Hi duomamam,

My dd is at Bromley high and we are extremely pleased with the school. As you said, the teachers and head are very approachable. They also have a regular parent forum where you can air you views and concerns.

I also like the fact that the girls make friends across all the years. My dd as well as having friends in her year group also has friends that text and chat to her from year 8 to 10. Bless them some of the seniors even gave the year 7's Xmas gifts.

If you look closely at the A level table, you will find BHS sitting btw city of London for girls and Etonian which are fantastic schools and from my understanding, it's down to the subjects taken at different schools. The school did very well at GCSE and also there are lots of changes in different schools at A levels as some girls decide to go to mixed schools before Uni and the school also takes on kids from other schools.

I will be more worried about GCSE as kids can be moved for A levels if required. Good luck with your decision.
Last edited by blessedmum on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duomaman

Post by duomaman »

Hi,
Thanks for advice re: moving topic to Independent section and great to hear from a blessedmum at BH. So pleased that your dd is enjoying it and making lots of friends across the whole school. The GCSE results are very good and you're right that it would be more worrying if they had gone down, rather than the A levels. Do you know what % of girls leave to go elsewhere for A levels?
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I am not sure of how many girls move for A levels but i think a fair amount of them do as most have been at Bromley high since age3 and one or two of the mums i spoke too last year said they move to have a change and experience of schooling with boys which they will not have had all their school life. Also as the school doesnt currently do the IB, some of the girls have moved for this reason.

I will ask a mum i know with a dd in year 11 this year and get back to you.
duomaman

Post by duomaman »

Thanks blessedmum, it would be useful if you could ask the mum you know and let me know.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Hi Duomaman,

what did you decide to do in the end about your dd's school.
am sorry i did not come back to you soon enough but from conversations with various parents in the senior school, I understand a lot of girl move schools for A levels because majority of them will have been at Bromley high from aged 3 and by the time they are 16, they want a change and a lot of parents also want them to be in co-ed 6th forms, so majority move to St Olaves for their A levels.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I thought it was Eltham College they went to.
duomaman

Post by duomaman »

Hi blessedmum,
Thanks for getting back to me re: 6th form. We have accepted a place at BHSS for our DD and she is really looking forward to starting there in September.
woodyrocks

Post by woodyrocks »

Hi All!

We have also accepted the Yr.7 offer of a place and to say DD is excited is an understatement. The sports sealed it for her in comparison to the other offers and I like their academic form but also the approachable nature I get from the teachers including the head. Now that the next few years (!) are sorted, I can turn my head to finally moving (needed to know which school she was going to school before packing our life up to deep Surrey of Kent!) before the summer comes. Will anyone's DD be travelling up from the Sevenoaks area by any chance (looking at TN15 & DA4)? I have had nose buried in the train maps for longer than I can care to admit and have settled on a maximum 30mins journey radius.

Can't quite believe this is actually happening as I remember only too well signing up here way back when this was just a dream I held for DD. Congrats to all your DDs for securing their places!