Newstead wood results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pixiedust101

Re: Newstead wood results

Post by pixiedust101 »

bromley mum wrote:Well done. pixiedust. The distance only matters as far as the fact that you need to be within 9 mile radius of the school. If you are then a DD living 9 miles away and another 0.9 mile away are treated the same.

Ahhhhh :oops: you are right!

We've got some very good medical reasons as to why the school is ideal for her - have a consultant backing us - so hopefully if we need to appeal may, just may be ok!!

Thanks bromley mum :)

PD101
repe17

Post by repe17 »

Well done to everyone!! Am waiting for results, the post has come, no letter. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Even though put first class stamp on, have to wait another day as the post in Bexleyheath is apparently one day behind!!!!!!
Athena

Post by Athena »

Many congratulations to all our DD's but I can understand the frustration of still being in limbo land despite getting the results. My DD scored 224, so like the others I am also hoping this means that she is likely to be offered a place based on their indication of the cut off score? At least the wait is over for us for he results!
lotty

Post by lotty »

For info, the school had the most pupils ever to sit the test this year so that could have an effect on relating scores to last year!

My daughter sat the test (first sitting) and came out smiling saying that it was easy, now I have never come out of an exam saying that so there are two reasons for this, either she totally screwed it up or is bright, well the answer is in the mail system somewhere :D just not with me as I have not received the results yet :(

Good luck to all 8)

P.S. Did anyone else's daughter find it easy?
gert123

Post by gert123 »

Lotty good luck, my DD found all the papers easy, we thought she is a natural at VR, and she managed 120, she always struggled with NVR but she scored maximum 140, a bit of a shock, maybe she got over confident in VR.Your DD will pass.
repe17

Post by repe17 »

My husband hid the letter and she has past with a score of 240. She did better on non verbal despite verbal being her strongest. she came out saying it was easy but i think she must have meant easier than the test papers she'd done. She is a high top 180 scorer in Bexley and looking at this result I am (dare I say it!!!) little disappointed!! But at the same time, she also did Dartford test and this was the last test so it is quite a lot. And she passed, so can't complain really and am not going to anymore. Lets hope it is good enough to get a place, it is our first choice and now to sort out a (provisional)car pooling group. Anybody going to Newstead from Bexleyheath??????
Joywoodmum

Post by Joywoodmum »

My dd came out saying that the tests were easier than both the Bexley and Kent tests, but her result was 228, out of a max score of 280 so this suggests she got quite a few wrong even though she felt it went well - so I think that there must have been quite a few 'trick questions' in there. (DD got a top 180 score in Bexley tests). As far as I can see, without knowing where she is in the rank order means I don't have a clue whether or not she would get in.

Does anyone have any views on Newstead Vs Chis and Sid? Am really not sure which to put as first choice as I don't know anyone who has gone to either school.
lotty

Post by lotty »

To gert123 and of course all others, Well done to your daughters 8)

Hmm so are we saying there is a max score of 140 per paper? I just need to be ready to try and work out what her scores will mean, good or bad, not looking good for the post today though :(

What has really worried me is looking for results in google has opened my eyes to people who actually send their children to trainers to practice :shock: Never knew that stuff went on, so my mind is moving more to the totally screwed up end of the scale, had no thoughts about it really until this morning, having read this and other posts I am now a nervous wreck for her :D

Seems some parents have been planning this for years, we just filled in the application form, got a test date and sent her, I feel so guilty now :( The good thing is she had no pressure, was smiling going into the test after joking about it in the car on the way and came out with a big grin, so at least she hasn't suffered I guess with pressure! But is that a good or bad thing?
repe17

Post by repe17 »

Lotty, yes max score was 140 per paper. If your DD gets through without tutors etc brilliant.
Can only be a good thing. My DD had a tutor half way through yr5. She hopefully would have passed anyway as she has always been top level in her class for the last 4yrs but I also have another small child and felt I couldn't give her enough one to one focused time. At tutor she was for two hours every week focused, going over difficult areas etc. And it has paid off I feel. even if things don't work out there still are good options for schools with grammar streams etc. Didn't know how many other decent non-selective schools there are around!! Good luck.
lotty

Post by lotty »

Are we saying that children really should have a tutor to have a chance? :shock: What percentage of children that sit the test do you think are tutored, and what percentage of those that pass have been tutored, just a rough guess will do, I am really nervous now, still no mail so will be tomorrow now :(

If she fails I will be riddled with guilt, why do the schools not tell you about tutors when they send you the information out, then everyone could have a level playing field? it seems a little unfair but my fault I guess, should have found this site years ago but it only came up first hit today when I googled to see when the test results were coming out :(

Do you think if someone has been tutored to pass they could struggle later at the school if they get in if they don't have the broad intelligence required, or is it a matter of get in at any cost and hope she keeps up? I am just thinking that I would rather have my daughter somewhere that suited her intellect rather than being bottom of the class and always struggling, that could be horrendous.

Maybe if she does pass I will need to ensure that it is at a decent level that she would be comfortable there, but then if a load of children were tutored she may be able to hold her own with a broad base of skills and intellect as some may have just been coached for the exam, she is top of the top maths set at school, but no maths paper she said!