Newstead wood results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gert123

Re: Newstead wood results

Post by gert123 »

if score is above the historical cut off mark, you have nothing to lose by putting Newstead as your first choice and hope for the best outcome. Just think carefully about the second choice.
lotty

Post by lotty »

I still think that without all results you just can't work out where you stand, anyway, I think 250 or above would be ultra safe, 230 very safe, 225 to 230 safe, below that which my daughter borders on you just would never know.

Maybe if I rang the school they would email me all the figures, you never know you can only ask.
Athena

Post by Athena »

Dippybaby wrote:Hi Lotty

I think they use the same exam every year or one very similar. They wouldn't say the cut off was in the region of 218-219 unless they had good reason to. These tests are standardised and set in such a way that only a small percentage of girls achieve high marks. 225 is over 80% and in reality not many girls would have achieved that or more if they think the cut off is 78%. The people on this forum might be the exception. Not many people would be brave enough to come on to the forum and say their daughter got below 218- as they probably think they have failed.
I agree with this at the risk of sounding overly optimistic, while more people sat the test this year they have also taken into account that there are 30 more places available, so I guess that averages out the previous years. Also the cut off score in March last year which was 224 dropped by a few marks as they do every year when the second and third round school allocations happen. Not everyone who ranks in the initial top 160 decides to take the place. However, I may be eating my words come March, only time will tell and I wish good luck to all of you.
lotty

Post by lotty »

Good point, I didn't think of that, we have not applied for any other school so some may pass and not take up the option, I also heard rumours that a lot have taken the exam from outside the 9 mile zone 'hoping' to sneak in, so if some of them got high marks and were disqualified and appealed and failed, as nobody has ever succeeded in an outside zone appeal, then that could be good news for those near the mark.

I wonder if they calculate the above in their expectations for the pass mark.
nana11

Post by nana11 »

lotty wrote:Are we saying that children really should have a tutor to have a chance? :shock: What percentage of children that sit the test do you think are tutored, and what percentage of those that pass have been tutored, just a rough guess will do, I am really nervous now, still no mail so will be tomorrow now :(

If she fails I will be riddled with guilt, why do the schools not tell you about tutors when they send you the information out, then everyone could have a level playing field? it seems a little unfair but my fault I guess, should have found this site years ago but it only came up first hit today when I googled to see when the test results were coming out :(

Do you think if someone has been tutored to pass they could struggle later at the school if they get in if they don't have the broad intelligence required, or is it a matter of get in at any cost and hope she keeps up? I am just thinking that I would rather have my daughter somewhere that suited her intellect rather than being bottom of the class and always struggling, that could be horrendous.

Maybe if she does pass I will need to ensure that it is at a decent level that she would be comfortable there, but then if a load of children were tutored she may be able to hold her own with a broad base of skills and intellect as some may have just been coached for the exam, she is top of the top maths set at school, but no maths paper she said!
I would think if child is top in thee school thane that child will be fine in gs. I didn't have a tutor for my dd but i was teaching her miself. We where learning together, sit took only 12 days to practice non verbal and 2 months verbal reasoning. We only used gl assasment books
nana11

Post by nana11 »

nana11 wrote:
lotty wrote:Are we saying that children really should have a tutor to have a chance? :shock: What percentage of children that sit the test do you think are tutored, and what percentage of those that pass have been tutored, just a rough guess will do, I am really nervous now, still no mail so will be tomorrow now :(

If she fails I will be riddled with guilt, why do the schools not tell you about tutors when they send you the information out, then everyone could have a level playing field? it seems a little unfair but my fault I guess, should have found this site years ago but it only came up first hit today when I googled to see when the test results were coming out :(

Do you think if someone has been tutored to pass they could struggle later at the school if they get in if they don't have the broad intelligence required, or is it a matter of get in at any cost and hope she keeps up? I am just thinking that I would rather have my daughter somewhere that suited her intellect rather than being bottom of the class and always struggling, that could be horrendous.

Maybe if she does pass I will need to ensure that it is at a decent level that she would be comfortable there, but then if a load of children were tutored she may be able to hold her own with a broad base of skills and intellect as some may have just been coached for the exam, she is top of the top maths set at school, but no maths paper she said!
I would think if child is top in thee school thane that child will be fine in gs. I didn't have a tutor for my dd but i was teaching her miself. We where learning together, sit took only 12 days to practice non verbal and 2 months verbal reasoning. We only used gl assasment books
I just want to add myDD got 230 score.
nana11

Post by nana11 »

lotty wrote:************** POST JUST ARRIVED!!!!!! SHE GOT 225, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS PLEEEEASE!!! *************
i am very happy for you. This is very impressive to get 225 without any practising. Well done to yourDD.
Fossie

Post by Fossie »

My DD only got 198 so we won't get a place. Just to let you know, there are loads of us who won't get a place. Most won't say on this forum but we are still here. Best luck to the rest of you.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Fossie, I know you must be feeling a bit raw today, but please take it from me, the fact that you are bothered enough about her education to sign up on this site means you care about her education. That, and only that, is what matters the most. Have a read of the following news story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19923891

I totally believe that. So, please just continue doing what you do best which is love and support her and I promise you she'll do well in the world.
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Fossie wrote:My DD only got 198 so we won't get a place. Just to let you know, there are loads of us who won't get a place. Most won't say on this forum but we are still here. Best luck to the rest of you.
Hey Fossie

Just wanted to say that I know how you feel - was there myself three years ago. Although none of the exams went our way that time, my eldest daughter is doing so well - she's absolutely flying - she's at a comp in the top sets which has boosted her confidence no end. She says that doing the exams has helped her, despite no getting the required scores, as it gave her valuable exam practice in unfamiliar surroundings.

Well done to your DD, and I wish you both all the luck in the world.
PD101
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now