Wilsons VS St Olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shiva

Re: Wilsons VS St Olaves

Post by shiva »

Hi Mama as curiosity as per your post is it correct that 390 pupils passed the st Olaves exam?
What does 390 pass stand for as 3 letters (Likely, possible, and unlikely) were sent ?
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Athena wrote:I totally agree with Jiff and would just like to add that my views on the head are not based on rate my teacher by any shot. In fact I only stumbled upon this site very recently. From my personal experience I would say that while every school needs discipline and of course children benefit from it, there is a big difference between running a military school and a grammar school. As Jiff pointed out the school was perfectly disciplined by Anthony Jarvis too. In any case my views are based on our experiences at the school which has lots of positives too. I would rather not go too much into detail about Mr Onac on a public forum and I'm sure others have their own experiences of the school; but ofsted reports and grades are the only criteria we sometimes have to go on when deciding on schools for our DC. It's nice to share our own experiences of children in various schools.
I do agree with you that as parents we based our decision on Ofsted reports, grades, and leavers' destinations in addition to ethos and values of the school. If the HT is only paying lip service to the ethos and the values of the school, I think there should be ways of correcting the head. He was employed by some people, they should be able to call him to order if he is not working according to his job description. Parents should also have the opportunity to air their views through PTA and to the board of governors. I based my response on what I read on "rate my teacher". May be he is running it the ways grammar schools were run in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s which I watched on the telly but the honest truth is that some grammar schools are not better than comprehensive in terms of discipline. I did pre training observation in a grammar school, I was very disappointed and I know another grammar school year 11 had food fight during lunch last year and it was very bad. This year, there was another fight among the sixth form in the same grammar school. This is a high performing grammar school but result is falling gradually now. There are something we do not hear outside about some of these grammar schools. About 2 years ago, there were complaints from people living around a grammar school in Bexley shopper and Bexley Times. This has to do with behaviour of their students, following week an old student advised the present HT to employ some of the ways the previous HT used to discipline them which helped them to behave in the school and also see themselves as ambassadors of the school outside the school. I do not know anything about St. O's HT apart from his £40000 "golden hello" and his ability to achieve results. Hopefully as time goes on we will know him better, then we can advise other parents before making their own decision.
MaverickAuthor

Post by MaverickAuthor »

Don't know anything about Wilsons but based on DS's experiences of St. Olave's would definitely not recommend the school.
School is living on its reputation which might still be academically ok (pastorally far from it) - next year will be key as new head will then have been in post long enough for results not to be influenced by previous head.
luvingdad

Post by luvingdad »

Hi Mama H,
My son is in "possibily to be offered" category but letter did not state that 390 have passed.

If you came to know about this numbers from some other source, can you please let me know how many ( approx) would have been offered a "Possible" place ?

Thanks in advance.
Dboo65

Post by Dboo65 »

My DS started in Wilson's and so far everyday he goes to school happy and comes back happy. He is really enjoying. Everyday I ask him if he still enjoys it and he always says with a big grin - Yes. I cannot recommend the school highly enough. Has all to allow a child to thrive academically and as a person.
pilot12

Post by pilot12 »

Hi,
I want to know which school is best St Olaves or Judd.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now