CEM at Bexley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fred

Re: CEM at Bexley

Post by fred »

Hi Christmasbonus
totally understand your position. it took me a long time to decide for my DDs to take the Kent exam only for things to change. Getting them to do both exam know seems a bit too much especially when it seems to me that the two format do not necessarily compliment each other.

To be honest I still go into a panic state when I think of the time left, but I have started by finding out what each paper may contain and then build from there.
Paper 1
VR - 20 minutes (loads of syn and ant)
short maths - 10min (assuming mental maths type)
comprehension - 15

paper 2
maths - 15min (looks to be SAT type questions)
Data process 10min (bar chart, Venn time tables (trains))
NVR 10min
cloze 10min
ginx

Post by ginx »

Christmasbonus,

don't want to panic you but yes, according to my dd2 who did the 11+ in Oct in Warwickshire (please don't blame me if she's wrong), instructions were recorded and yes, she mis-understood. For example "Start now, this is maths, lasts 45 minutes". At 40 minutes, tape announced "5 minutes left". For some reason, my dd2 thought that meant "stop writing now". Not great. As she came out and told me.

I didn't know it was going to be recorded. At least you can warn your dc.

Good luck. Glad it's not me again (yet).
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Thanks for this info Fred and Ginx. I'll try to look at this calmly now - I think I will find it easier once the kids are back at school. I think it is just the fact that it is a such a big change - I have not heard of the "cloze" thing before!
fred

Post by fred »

hi christmasbonus,

below are some websites you may find interesting, the first gives examples of Cloze passages:

http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/ ... arts/cloze" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.englishforeveryone.org/Topic ... ension.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.englishforeveryone.org/Topic ... tonyms.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Thanks so much for these Fred.
KenR

Post by KenR »

You need to be careful, please read the disclaimer in the B/Ham content section - I'm sure the same will apply to Bexley.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=14423

Please note how this has changed on an annual basis

Note also that historically the cloze can come in 2 forms(from DIY Mum):-

Cloze: So far, 2 types of cloze– missing letters or a missing word (choose 1 from 4). But last year's KE sample sheet also detailed a new type of cloze where it combined it with synonyms and antonyms as 'one worders'. This has yet to appear on an actual exam paper so practice all types.

Quite a lot of information on the historical content of the B/Ham KE Foundation grammar 11+ exams has been posted by parents on this forum. To give parents an idea of what to their child may expect in future B/ham KE 11+ exams I have collated the various bits of information together into a single content Sticky. This is shown in decending chronological order:

I should warn parents that many children find the comprehension content (which usually comes first) very hard, so it's best that they are prepared to expect this and try not to let this affect their approach to the following sections.

Disclaimer: Univ of Durham CEM who prepare the tests do not give advance notice of the content. They are always looking for new ways to test children. There is no guarantee that any or all of the content of previous tests will be included in future B/Ham KE 11+ exams.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Thanks KenR. Yes, I did see this. Basically we just need to be prepared for anything I suppose! And try to make sure DC don't panic if they come across something they find difficult.
fred

Post by fred »

All

With the information available, has anyone tried to compile or create a ‘mock paper’?
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

I think I will try to do this at about Easter time, and do as many combinations as possible. I'm also wondering whether any of the companies who previously did mock tests in the Bexley area will be doing any this year.
fred

Post by fred »

Hi Christmasbonus

I am planning to do the same and do as much of the combination as possible. Do you mind sharing? I have no problem sharing what I have and it would double the paper with half the time, and get a good variety.

I you are ok with this, can we set a deadline or else I would be lazy and keep pushing it.

I have emailed a couple of the group to see if they are going to offer mock test to reflect the changes, not one of them got back and all thier websites have not been updated. The nearest I found were those in Birmingham
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now