familarisation paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: familarisation paper

Post by mystery »

salsa wrote:Hi Mistery,
About the type of questions. Well, my son did go for C instead of A as you thought. He also struggled with the jury question as he didn't know the whole process of being in court. I thought that question was a bit mean for those who haven't come across the subject. How many more like these will there be!?

Yes, this kind of thing is my concern too. It is a general knowledge test as much as anything. Personally I am concerned with quite a few c e m examples of vocabulary like this which come up in examples of c e m questions people have shared on here in the past. E.g one that referred to some language that would be more familiar to children who had been on a flight. Ability testing should be "culture free" as much as possible in my opinion. It is making me consider my back-up options more seriously - so that is good!

I showed the question which involved understanding "commercial" at the age of ten to my relative who too k the old kent test and has clean sweep of A star at a level. They were as surprised as me.

Definitely need to read a newspaper with dd for the next year. This kind of language does not get covered at school for us.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you! I will do.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Hi, can anyone tell me whether children in Bexley schools had a practice paper at school, and if so, was it the same as the one in the link in the Council's confirmation letter.

Thanks.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi Christmasbonus,

I don't know about all the Primary schools in Bexley, but at my daughter's school all the children that have registered for the 11 plus sat a paper yesterday and it was the one from the Council's site.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Thanks for this.
mystery

Post by mystery »

christmasbonus wrote:Thanks for this.
The online version of the practice paper refers in one of the maths sections to a coloured answer sheet which numbers have to be written on as well as the answers hatched in on the multichoice answer sheet. Is there an online copy of this anywhere?

How are people feeling about the time per question ?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

mystery wrote:The online version of the practice paper refers in one of the maths sections to a coloured answer sheet which numbers have to be written on as well as the answers hatched in on the multichoice answer sheet. Is there an online copy of this anywhere?
It's not multi-coloured, just a peachy coloured background - the answer sheet is included at the end of the pdf - write the numbers in the top box and strike through the appropriate digits below for the "Numerical Reasoning Part B" section on the right hand side of the answer sheet.
Maddiebean

Post by Maddiebean »

Does anyone know if the 7 mins for comprehension is including time to read the text and answer questions or is it they read the text separately and then get 7 mins to answer questions?

Thanks
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

I'm pretty sure the 7 mins is for reading and answering the questions, otherwise they'd have to wait till everyone said they had finished reading.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

My Ds said he found the tight timings really tough today. He ended up just filling in the grid for the last one or two in each section.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now