St Olaves Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dream mum

Re: St Olaves Results

Post by dream mum »

my ds has ...he will possibly be offered a place at st olaves what that mean help .....
:idea: :?: :?: :?:and anyone know how many people getting possibly letters.....
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

I don't know how many boys get "possibly" letters, but last year, one of DS's friends got a "possibly" and then was offered St Olave's on 1st March. If St O's is your first preference, you should put it number one on your CAF. Good luck! :D
Tioman

Post by Tioman »

Just wanted to say well done to all of your children who have taken the challenge of tackling St Olaves! They and you must have worked extremely hard and really deserve their success!! Fantastic.

Parent 2013 and any other members: Please may I ask you what your strategies were for the creative writing? My DD is naturally quite able in this area as she reads a lot. However I am very interested to know how you approached this part of the exam..

Many thanks for any replies.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Thanks Tioman.

Yes, full credit to all 10 year dc's for tons of hard work, sheer dedication and taking so much pressure at such an early stage. Also to parents who must have toiled equally hard to help them reach there. It is not easy and let me caution the 2014/2015 parents that it is going to get tougher every year.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi all,
I hear St Olave's is having a sort of unofficial open day on Friday for those who got "likely" or "possible" letters. You may have to phone them to ask for an appointment.
tiafish

Post by tiafish »

Hi Salsa - thanks for that info. I just called St Olave's, who apologised but said that this 'open day' was only for those who had not previously been able to see around the school. The tour is full up and they definitely can't accommodate any more. Just thought I'd save anyone else the trouble of calling!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Well, that's a way of putting it! I can assure you that people that have already seen it are going on Friday. If I were you I would insist in seeing it maybe another day. If there are enough of you, I'm sure they'll have to accommodate you. It is such an important decision and just going on a Saturday we didn't really have a feel of the school. How the students interact with each other and the teachers. Especially if there are so many concerns about pastoral care and the school being thought of as only results driven. Have people power and do insist. It's the least they can do for you. You and your children have done the hard work to get a likely or possible! Not to open their doors for a second look worries me!
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Just insist, they will accommodate you! You just need to be persuasive and explain your concerns.
Nims

Post by Nims »

Removed.
Last edited by Nims on Sat May 17, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robofish

Post by robofish »

Any negative impression I have had of St Olaves has been on online forums. All visits have always been positive, all contact with local parents positive.

Today we were shown around by two lovely boys in yr7. They were eminently normal and seemed to have settled in perfectly. All the contact we have had with support staff today was just as good. We also got 25 mins with the headteacher this morning.

So what's he like? Serious and straight talking with an obvious pride in his school, teachers and pupils. Yes he wants great results. Yes he wants the best universities.There is nothing wrong with either aim.

Two facts: 7As 3 Bs to get to stay on at 6th form confirmed. Key stage 3 compressed to years 7 and 8. Allows deeper GCSE teaching.

Pupils have regular assessments in all subjects to ensure progress is monitored and streaming is correct.

I was hugely impressed.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I asked the boys about clubs etc. One of the boys said he played Fives EVERY lunchtime! (Slightly dedicated obviously). The other boy had tried a few clubs: Art, Engineering & Film Club (making, not watching) were mentioned. Both did Spanish and rather looking forward to a trip to Spain next year. The headmaster said that the boys also go on an outward bound course (bonding those who haven't yet bonded I guess) towards the end of year 7.

AND for those interested/still deciding, the school claim that the Lewis bus operating a route from Crystal Palace through Penge & West Wickham is always on time (and open to being a little flexible even).

Sorry for going on a bit, just trying to impart any information that may help.
Last edited by robofish on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.