Bexley 11+ - how did they find it?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dande

Re: Bexley 11+ - how did they find it?

Post by Dande »

Vaani2003, sincere apologies.

I am not trying to be rude, just explain my understanding of this year's 11+.

I am aware of DC finding last year's paper really hard and running out crying. I know of children being physically sick before last year too. I don't believe this year was any more stressful on our children as has been on other years.

Maybe the parents were more stressed because we knew that they were designing it to be tutor proof, and this was the first year, so we had nothing to go by.

I've had many a sleepless night worrying if we've covered NVR enough, or *** comment on test content removed by moderator to avoid any advantage to late sitters *** I'm not working for the board. Just as stressed out about this whole process as you probably are.

But I'm not going to complain that it was hard - because I always knew it was going to be.
tammysure

Post by tammysure »

Please, does anyone whether the same sets of questions was used in all the test centres in Bexley, irrespective of whether morning or afternoon sessions on both days. This will be very interesting to know.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I don't know for certain about Bexley, but I've never known a CEM test to have multiple papers for different sittings in other areas where they set the 11+ tests.
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

Dande wrote:Vaani2003, sincere apologies.
I am aware of DC finding last year's paper really hard and running out crying. I know of children being physically sick before last year too. I don't believe this year was any more stressful on our children as has been on other years.
All I know is that among our peers we had several sit Kent, St Olav's and Bexley, and Bexley is the only one which left kids in tears.

As many have said, it's all very well turning it in to a race, but this should be made clear up front rather than causing them distress because they couldn't finish.
imagine

Post by imagine »

Hi all
My ds sat St Olaves, Kent and Bexley. For kent we are ooc he sat it in one of the grammar schools and it was a very good experience for him. When they left us (parent) and went in because it was early, whilst waiting for the others and the time there was a movie or film which I thought was good as it helped the children take their mind of the exam and not become stress. He finished the test in time etc very well organised. St Olaves the only issue was parent and children waiting to be called in and because it was wet not a very good condition outside. But the paper was as expected and as in their practice papers. Timing was manageable.
However for Bexley, as he attends Bexley school he took it in his school and at the end of year 5 he was a level 5 all round and he is fast and accurate but this test was the one he felt was hard. After school all he can say was it was hard. He eventually explained that for the maths which is his best he had to guess about 7 because he did not have time to work them out and the others whilst he was able to work them but because of the fast pace of it he cannot confidently say his answers were right. Also with the maths section because it was a CD instruction when they started at one point he said the teachers/invigilators were confused as they could not recall how many minutes the CD instruction had said :?:

*** comment on test content removed by moderator to avoid any advantage to late sitters ***
mystery

Post by mystery »

You must report that last point. CD instructions are good to a point; but this is a great shortcoming.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Please remember that although the tests may have changed, the number of candidates they are looking to select hasn't. There are still the same number of places, and a harder test is harder for everyone, so it will just mean that the raw score marks needed will go down.

The time pressure element on CEM exams is typical, and has been widely reported on based upon the experience of other regions, so wouldn't have been a surprise to those who had read these forums in advance. The rationale is that speed of processing is a more accurate indicator of potential than simply whether somebody can get to a correct answer eventually.

In future years this will obviously become more widely known locally, and no doubt people will begin to incorporate handling time pressure into their preparation more.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Agreed. Do you think that rationale is always correct though? And that if it is, this is a good test of processing speed? It could have been clearer this year to everyone, not just people who took this site seriously. Also, bucks and bex are not as superselective as other cem schools and areas so people who did read this form might have been justified in thinking that there would be less time pressure or, in general, easier questions.

But yes, I agree that it is the same for everyone, but it is not quite what some people would have expected. Was the bexley practice paper link made clear to all candidates too? You can find the fam paper easily, but I can only find the practice paper via your link on here.
imagine

Post by imagine »

sorry moderators. However i notice this has already been mentioned on page 2 of this thread.

Mystery who can i report it to? The school most likely will deny it and would Bexley be interested?

The problem with Bexley is that they only have 4 grammars and huge amount of children taking selection test hence they want to limit/minimize the amount passing. However this test i don't believe is the way to go about it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Go through the bexley corporate complaints procedure. Ask what the procedure is for chief invigilators to prevent this happening again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now