Newstead Wood / Bromley cutoff age - surreal loop

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pgvol

Newstead Wood / Bromley cutoff age - surreal loop

Post by pgvol »

Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone is finding her/himself in a similarly kafkian situation as we are, or has any idea how to get out of it.

The facts:
* My daughter is currently in yr 6 at an independent school.
* She was born 3Sep03, which makes her the youngest in her class. She's basically one year ahead, and she has been so since Reception. Academically, she's never struggled to keep up with her older classmates, and in fact she's done very well.
* We reside in Bromley and have applied for Sep2014 admission to NW
* Newstead Wood is aware of her date of birth (in fact they specifically called us to clarify whether it was a typo on her application, or she was indeed born on that day). Given that she was born just 72 hours after the cutoff date of 31Aug03, NW was happy to let her apply and sit the exam. She got 250, which should give her a good shot at getting in.

The problem:
* I have now tried to complete her CAF online via the Bromley website, to no avail. The software will not allow anyone with a date of birth post 31Aug03 to file an online application - something that the techies who provide website support have confirmed.
* In order to find out what to do next, I have been calling the Bromley Admissions Office helpline on 020 8313 4044. This office, whose sole purpose is presumably to deal with - well, admissions, makes itself theoretically available on the phone from 1400 to 1700 on weekdays (not exactly a user-friendly policy, given this must be their busiest time of the year - but that's another matter). I say theoretically, because the line (which does not take messages) returns a pre-recorded message even during the said hours. So much for the helpline (ok, I am being unfair - there is an incredibly helpful reminder to check the LA's website).
* I understand I could file a paper CAF, which should have been sent to us with DD's pre-printed information. We never received any such form (probably because our DD's age). No such form for the general public use is available on Bromley's website either.

So, in summary:
* NW allows my daughter's application to the school
* however, the LA's online application process blocks my DD's CAF filing
* we did not receive a paper CAF
* the helpline supposedly available to tell us what to do is not picking up the phone

any idea what to do? help appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: Newstead Wood / Bromley cutoff age - surreal loop

Post by hermanmunster »

Oh dear.

Can remember having to chase round for a CAF form as I had kids at indie school - they weren't sent out automatically.

If it was me - I would go along to education office and ask to see someone and explain the problem - am sure they can give you a form
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Hi

Keep trying the School Admissions on the telephone, I have spoken to them in the past. Otherwise you could try and email them.
pgvol

Post by pgvol »

thank you for your suggestions
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

I tried calling the Bromley edu helpline to get a clarification on CAF submission and the helpdesk lady picked up straightaway (after the automated message). I think they open from 2pm onwards.

I suggest you try calling at different times or just go the council office and scream :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now