Townley girls Grammar School versus Greenwich mixed comp

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Strongmum

Townley girls Grammar School versus Greenwich mixed comp

Post by Strongmum »

My daughter is in Year 5 and I really can't decide whether or not she should take the 11+. She is a bright girl and I think she would pass, but she lacks confidence and I don't want her to end up at a Grammar school where she feels out of her depth, pressured to work very hard and then loses even more confidence.

Could anyone tell me just how academic, competitive, pressured grammar schools are these days, particularly Townley as that would be my school of choice? I went to a girls grammar in Kent but that was nearly 30 years ago and I didn't find the school overly academic or pushy but still I ended up feeling as though I wasn't as clever as most other girls (but saying that my daughter is brighter than me!).

I hear that the Greenwich comps are much improved and that if she were in one of the top streams, perhaps she would feel more confident and do just as well as at a grammar.

I also worry about all girls schools in terms of competitiveness etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated please.
72Northern

Re: Townley girls Grammar School versus Greenwich mixed comp

Post by 72Northern »

Have sent you a PM :D
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

The Greenwich comps have improved a lot!
We looked at both options for our dd, so saw a LOT of schools in SE Greenwich/Bexley last year.
As well as Crown Woods College, which was on Tough Young Teachers recently :lol: we were impressed by Eltham Hill's beautiful new buildings and rising standards, and by the Heads and our student tour guides, at both schools. We also looked at St Catherine's RC Girls in Bexleyheath, which has some "other faith" and community places. Another fantastic mixed ability school with a great atmosphere.
I do not get the impression that any of the Bexley grammars are as pressured as the nearby N Kent ones, nor as the superselectives in Bromley. I think they are all the better for it, frankly. I think there is a broader ability range at the Bexley grammars and they are all large schools which also helps.
The grammars, as you might expect, offer a wider choice of more academic subjects, the comps offer a core academic curriculum and more choice in the applied vocational subjects at GCSE and BTEC.

We have an older child at DGS, and that suits him perfectly. Our dd would have found DGGS or Newstead Woods completely daunting. Like your dd, she sometimes lacks confidence.

Bexley GS was our preferred selective option for dd and she passed the Bexley test so that is where she is going. We feel it is a happy, high achieving school with little evidence of damaging competitiveness or pressure. We know other families who love it for their children. IMHO you probably won't hear much different about the other three Bexley grammars, including Townley, they all seem to be basically very good schools.

I would have a good look at all the local schools, with an open mind, and with your dd. See what she thinks! There are definitely plenty of good choices for girls currently round here, selective and mixed ability.

Good luck!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I have a son in year 11 at Beths and did have a daughter at one of the Greenwich Comps. She was put under vastly more pressure than my son has ever been. My friend's son at a different comp says the same - there seems to be a constant push to 'get the next level'. They are both very bright kids, so I wonder if the comps feel the need to 'prove' that their comp can do just as well as the grammars. I don't know if the grammars feel they don't need to try so hard.