Indie vs local grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MerlinFromCamelot

Re: Indie vs local grammer

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I think more parents should go for comprehensive schools with lovely facilities, shiny new toilets etc... That way the places at the GS can be snapped up by parents who really want them for their DC. :lol:
lefol

Post by lefol »

In response to your original post, I would definitely take the grammar place over the indie especially in the circumstances you describe . DS attends a local grammar and loves it and does not find it pushy at all - he is a pretty laid back boy and the grammar does him well when he gets lazy as they are strict on discipline !
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

May I ask which grammar your ds goes and how does he finds balance between academics and sports etc.
Billie

Post by Billie »

What I was trying to say is don't assume grammars are perfect. They are far from it. With an indie you have some argument that as you are paying then you expect good things in return from the school and that usually means good facilities, opportunities etc.
Don't get me wrong, both my dc at grammars love them, but you do have to think about the whole picture when choosing. My comment re toilets etc was to show that behind the facade of fantastic results often lie many issues re grammars that we as parents may not be aware of when applying. Being able to go to the toilet during the school day is important and I understand had become an issue there.

OP- Which school does your dc prefer? Would one suit them more? Do you know anyone at either that you could ask and if so get a better feel for the school?
MerlinFromCamelot

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect school but we are more than happy with the GS DD1 attends. Could not fault it and although not state if the art, more than good enough for us. DD is very happy there and hoping DD2 will be able to go there as well.

Some of DD's friends from primary have gone on to Indies. We are year 9 and just having chosen subjects DD seems to have a wider spread of subjects compared to her friends at Indies. Another difference is that DD likes competitive sport, trains about 10 hours per week. Her Indie friends seem to do a lot of activities after school. For some kids it would probably work well to spend more time with their school mates after school but I think DD benefits more from a wider social circle.

I'm not convinced that because one pays for Indies that they are more concerned about the interest of the students. After all they are not just a school they are also a "business". If you are in a GS and it does not work for your child you are probably more likely to find an Indie that can offer you a space but once at a secondary Indie it may not be so easy to knock on the door of a GS. Good luck, whatever you decide.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Totally agree Merlin - I have direct experience of both .
wertymum

Post by wertymum »

Many thanks for all of your replies. I think experiences are very individualistic. Kids move in both ways. With all information I gathered so far, both indies and grammar schools are equally good. Both got their own ways of motivating children. Food and facilities such as toilets seems not so different in both worlds. :oops:

Comprehensives have a very wide range of ability levels. LA's got no excuses.Obliged to provide resources..
They are not so academically motivated but some have outstanding performances. Finding a good comprehensive is harder than getting through 11+. Getting in to a grammar is a lottery to a capable child which is "free".
Some parents think they would have been better off if they sent their child to a good comprehensive because grammar schools are more demanding..... :roll:
MerlinFromCamelot

Kids move in both ways.

If that is the case then things definitely have changed. I know someone who's DS has been on the waiting list for 3 Bexley GS for more than 2 years now. She wanted to change from an Indie to GS at the end of year 7 and was told she had to take an entry test, despite having passed the 11+. The family got a letter a few weeks later saying that although she had passed there were no places, so she could go on the waiting list and was offered a comprehensive instead. Maybe Bexley has meantime changed it's policy as this is a few years ago.
wertymum

Post by wertymum »

MerlinFromCamelot wrote: Kids move in both ways.

If that is the case then things definitely have changed. I know someone who's DS has been on the waiting list for 3 Bexley GS for more than 2 years now. She wanted to change from an Indie to GS at the end of year 7 and was told she had to take an entry test, despite having passed the 11+. The family got a letter a few weeks later saying that although she had passed there were no places, so she could go on the waiting list and was offered a comprehensive instead. Maybe Bexley has meantime changed it's policy as this is a few years ago.
Wow! Is that so. I thought waiting list are for a very short period of time and it is suppose to be in successful completion of 11+, 12+, 13+ or go to 6th form etc. I don't think any move is that easy specially to a grammar school. Who will give their lottery money to a charity.
MerlinFromCamelot

I don't know how long waiting lists are kept for but 6 form transfer is based on available places and GCSE points I believe. At DS GS not all are allowed to stay on if the requirements are not met.

My friend got a letter from one of the GS' as late as last November asking if she wanted to stay on the list so there must be some sort if system?