Preparation for St Olaves Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

t0788393

Preparation for St Olaves Exam

Post by t0788393 »

I need advice on how to prepare my DS for the St Olaves Exam. I need more sample questions to work on, I got one at the Open day and have searched the net for past samples but to no avail.
Please help.
hermanmunster

Re: Preparation for St Olaves Exam

Post by hermanmunster »

there is a thread written last year about preparation for the exam:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... on#p232493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Longtime_Lurker

Post by Longtime_Lurker »

Hi there, my son got into Olaves and will be starting in Sept.

I would say focus more on writing skills.

When my son and his friends came out after the exams, they all said the maths was very easy. It actually said on the guide we were given that the maths is level 4 standard, so if your child is level 5 in maths, focus on the English - this I believe is more important.

The English includes a comprehension test and a writing task. The title last year was "The drained swimming pool......". I would properly be lost writing that, but my son loved that.

My son is an avid reader and is very good in English. We had a tutor, but knowing what I know now, I don't think you need one if your child enjoys reading and writing.

From what my son and his friends said, the exam is not that difficult, its just the huge amount of applicants, that makes it difficult to get in.

Hope this is of some help.
t0788393

Post by t0788393 »

Thank you very much. My DS is an avid reader and also has a tutor . You have reassured me that St Olaves is not an impossible mountain to climb. I will concentrate on the comprehension and creative writing.
soupastar

Post by soupastar »

I just printed out the Maths Test paper for my son for the 2013 st olaves exam.

Question 25 A & B asks about volume and cubes.

The answer for question 25 B says it is 12 but I cannot see how. I have it as 13. Is this a mistake or can I not work this out correctly.

The question is how many cubes which are 3x3x3cm (27cm) will fit into a box 6x10x6cm (360cm)

360 / 27 = 13.3 not 12

Where am I going wrong?
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

soupastar wrote:I just printed out the Maths Test paper for my son for the 2013 st olaves exam.

Question 25 A & B asks about volume and cubes.

The answer for question 25 B says it is 12 but I cannot see how. I have it as 13. Is this a mistake or can I not work this out correctly.

The question is how many cubes which are 3x3x3cm (27cm) will fit into a box 6x10x6cm (360cm)

360 / 27 = 13.3 not 12

Where am I going wrong?
I could be wrong because maths is not my thing, but I think it is more about the shape of the boxes rather than the volume. i.e, I think the first box would fit in the second box in two columns of two (4 boxes) x three rows high (3 boxes), giving you a total of 12.

I think that's right and I hope I've explained my muddled thinking!

PD101
soupastar

Post by soupastar »

I see what you did there.

I guess that makes sense as the question does state how many cubes will fit into the bigger box. Rather than just the volume.

I guess i'll have to read the questions properly next time :wink:
maa

Post by maa »

Hi!

Where did you get the St. Olaves 2013 paper from? Pls do let us know.

Thnx.