Beth's or Wilmington Grammar School for boys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gydde

Beth's or Wilmington Grammar School for boys?

Post by Gydde »

Help, we can't decide. any info greatly appreciated :)
parent2013

Re: Beth's or Wilmington Grammar School for boys?

Post by parent2013 »

Beth then WGS academically

you may also consider proximity to your house
Gydde

Post by Gydde »

Thanks Parent2013. Is there any reason that you would put Beths above Wilmington academically? I've looked in detail at their results and seems to be very little between them, unless I'm missing something? I know that Beths has an outstanding ofsted report and WGSB Good, but that being said, very few secondary schools have an outstanding. Building wise, Beths is obviously less tatty but boys (well certainly my DS) doesn't notice things like that.

I only live 10/15 mins for Beths and 15/20 from WGSB so distance either way isn't an issue.

Both, I'm told have fantastic pastoral care ... Any other major differences I'm unaware of?

Any info, gratefully received :) DS really can't decide
salsa

Post by salsa »

From my research, I found that Wilmington was very techie. They seemed to be excellent at engineering and their Design and Technology departments were very good. What sort of son do you have? I found the headmaster at Wilmington as a very warm and approachable person, the same about the staff. I didn't get the same feeling at BETHS. What about transport? Wilmington is a bit out of the way in a very peaceful place, however, transport there is not great. The buses are very infrequent. Wilmington seemed very computerised which I would have liked. All the reports sent electronically and parents always getting informed. I loved their use of technology as so did my son. Children at Wilmington are allowed to have their phones on and do research in class. I don't know how the teachers manage to keep the boys from texting or playing on their phones! I have also heard that at Wilmington there is a lot of homework. I think both schools are good, however, OFTED did criticise Wilmington for the quality of teaching. The children at Wilmington seemed happier than those at BETHS and I found BETHS much more diverse than Wilmington.
We know people at BETHS and they are very happy there. We do not know anyone at Wilmington.
I hope this helps, good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now