Confidence building

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sidcupparent

Confidence building

Post by sidcupparent »

I am worried that child will find his grammar school overwhelming.....

Are there any courses or tutors to build his confidence.

He doesn't make fiends that easily and suffers from aspergers
RedVelvet

Re: Confidence building

Post by RedVelvet »

Have you spoken to your primary school? Ours have a councillor come in once a week, she's great. I'm going to ask her to see my son about friendships after Easter.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You also need to arrange to meet the SENCO as many GS have support strategies.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi Sidcupparent,

Have you been in touch with the Bexley Autism Team? They will arrange an extended induction period for your son and liaise with his primary school and new secondary school to prepare him for the transition. If you are confident that you will get your preferred school they can start this process now, rather than waiting until March allocation.

Will your primary school be organising anything? Many organise sessions for the children that find change difficult and give them strategies to use when starting a new school.

Have you spoken to the new SenCo yet? Some of the grammar schools are much better than others at supporting new students with aspergers.

Good luck, it's a worrying time.
AML

Post by AML »

Dear Sidcupparent, have you had a formal diagnosis of aspergers from a Doctor or are you just assuming your child has aspergers? There is a lot of implication in his future academia if you are randomly labeling him ( not in a negative way) but there is help out there for such children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now