Newstead woods - how are scores calculated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nikki00

Newstead woods - how are scores calculated

Post by Nikki00 »

Hi can anyone tell me how the NW overall score is calculated. Are they standardised ? Thanks.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Newstead woods - how are scores calculated

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don't know precise details but the admissions policy at http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and in the years before that clearly states that scores will be 'age adjusted'. Therefore a September child will have to score a higher 'raw score' than an August child but by how much I haven't a clue! I have a daughter who is in the middle of her year group age wise and she will be sitting the test in September, gulp.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

You need top score for winter born child. Summer born will have the benefit of age standardisation.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

parent2013 wrote:You need top score for winter born child. Summer born will have the benefit of age standardisation.
Strictly speaking, like should be compared to like, in terms of age - children aged 10 years 1 month compared with each other, similarly 10 years 2 months etc. So the standardised scores can be compared - e.g two standardised scores of 121 can be regarded as equal even if the two children in question achieved different raw scores because the score profiles for their respective ages were different. Not quite the same as just adding on extra points for lower age; in theory, a younger child in a particular 'younger' age group may actually need a higher raw score to get a given standardised score, if that group actually scored more highly in general. (In the CSSE test here in Essex, the scores are not adjusted for age as the HT responsible for the statistical analysis says that the Consortium has never found any evidence that it was necessary and tbh I have never heard anyone at our DC's schools ascribe achievement levels high or low to the position of their offspring's birthday vis a vis the school year).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now