Bexley tests - share

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

The second test (VR) is done. We were more calm today, the atmosphere was kind of familiar by now. My daughter was not as happy as yesterday though. She was so busy working on questions that did not know that the time was up. They said to put the pencils down, but she had 5 more questions to do. She did not manage to put any lines across the remaining answer lines. Well, I said it did not matter as she answered 70 questions, and it was good enough.
The exams situations are so unpredictable! During our practice at home my daughter always needed more time for maths, but on the real test yesterday finished before the time. Moreover, she always used to finish VR in time but on the real test today she had several questions left.
I wonder how English and NVR will be next week. I can't wait for all this to finish now. How stressful.
And you know what, my second daughter can't wait to start her own practice. She is in year 4 now, but has been asking to practise 11+ papers with her for ages. So, I promised to start when these exams are over. Here we go again! :shock:
Alice
Bexley Mum 2

Today's VR paper

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Yes, my son seemed more relaxed today. He said the paper was OK but some of the questions were harder than he expected and he had to make complete guesses on about 7. He finished just in time. Alice73 - I've got a child in Year 4 too - but it will of course be so much easier when their time comes - just the two tests to worry about!!
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Oh,yes, there will only be 2 tests! This should be the last year with 4. And also the results will be out very quickly! Oh, why didn't they start it from this year... But, never-the-less, later is better than never. And I know what my first daughter would say,...... 'Not faaaaair.'
Alice
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Sorry, I am still thinking about today's VR test in Bexley. My daughter does not remember exactly how many questions were there in total. But she thinks - ?75. I am just trying to find out exactly how many questions short she was. My daughter said the codes questions were last. But how many codes questions were there? As she said she did two or three codes questions, that means that there were three or four left? As NFER have only 6 codes questions in one paper. Well, this is silly, but I am still wondering. She thought there were five questions left, but not 100% sure. Any ideas?
Alice
Bexley Mum 2

Today's VR

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

My son said that there were 75 questions. He also said there was stuff he hadn't done before. When pressed he said codes, which he has done, but he said that they were very hard and he had to guess most of them. He then said he had to make complete guesses on about 7 questions but I'm not sure if these were all codes. Which probably doesn't help you at all, sorry. I'm not convinced I would get a straight answer out of him now if I asked.

If it's any consolation, I think it's not uncommon for children to run out of time on the VR paper. My eldest son's friend didn't finish the last 10 or so questions a couple of years ago and he still passed.
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Thank you. I am so tired of worrying. Going to bed now. Never thought these exams would be so stressful.
Alice
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

So glad I found all your comments, it has been a very stressful time. My daughter took the Bexley Test we are out of borough. They have kept us waiting on both days not good for the nerves. DD said Maths easy, that is worrying, headmaster always says thats not a good sign!!! They all seemed to have found the VR a little harder and there were lots of codes apparently. Now to practise English and NVR, which we haven't done too much of.... poor daughter is not going to like the next week trying to do the practise papers!!!! Good Luck To All.
sallywag

Post by sallywag »

sorry to but in bust just wanted to offer some reassurance

My son sat a grammar school entrance exam in trafford in september

he was vey upset when he came out and reckoned he'd missed 20 verbal questions, 15 maths questions & a couple of NVR ones too..
He got his results a couple of weeks ago & we were stunned to find that he had passed by 25 points!!

It's not always as grim as it seems at the time :o)

best of luck to everyone at this hideous time ( it's 3rd time round for me) - i hope you all get the results you wish for x
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Thank you for sharing. Today I was just reading through the prospectuses of our chosen schools again. I wish I had a magical mirror to see the future. What the moment of opening a treasured envelope in March will be like?
In any case, I am glad that the opportunity to prepare for these exams had a huge positive impact on my daughter's confidence and boosted her knowledge. I have noticed that she started reading more, even picking up reference books. Also her maths level has gone up a lot. She also started noticing spelling mistakes in some literature, and commenced writing of her own book!
The only fact that we, parents, supported this preparation, and got to this forum shows how much we love our children and want the best for them. I think that this is the most important thing.
Alice
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Three quarters done, only one to go! I am feeling better. Good luck to everybody for tomorrow's NVR.
Alice