Bexley Test 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vmcguire

Re: Bexley Test 2016

Post by vmcguire »

Hi

How do you find out the distance the last child lived to gain a place at a school for the previous year?
salsa

Post by salsa »

You can look at the Bexley admissions booklet which shows the distance as at June 2015. I would contact the schools and ask them what was the distance as at September 2015.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Yes, the Bexley and Bromley booklets are very good at giving guidelines on distances. If you printed out the first edition of the Bexley booklet it had an error in and had transposed 8.1 into 1.8 miles so quite a difference. The latest version in their website is correct. For Kent I've emailed the one non-superselective school we are closest to and the admissions officer kindly provided me the information. For fear of pointing out the obvious but just in case it hasn't crossed everyone's minds, bear in mind any new schools in your area that might change things - there are two new ones in borough of Bromley so it could affect distances for other schools as a result.
Essexyummum

Post by Essexyummum »

vmcguire wrote:Hi

How do you find out the distance the last child lived to gain a place at a school for the previous year?
I emailed the admissions office.
Last edited by Essexyummum on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essexyummum

Post by Essexyummum »

Pettswoodfiona, good luck to your child for this Wednesday!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Thanks Essex, all the best in your DC's 11+ journey too.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Hello all

How is everyone's preparation going? Ds school seemed to have really ramped up the homework this year - especially in English ( I presume in response to the new NC). Along with the tutor (group) work, it's starting to pile up. I don't want him to peak yet!
Nearly finished Bond 10-11 all subjects Book 1 and definite weak areas are emerging but it's finding the time to work on these. He's finding working quickly a challenge and we were both surprised at how quickly 30 seconds goes! Ho hum - plodding on.

I've heard it repeatedly said that vocabulary is very important for CEM - we have the word lists off here and ds reading quite a lot (but can't call all of it 'quality fiction' :D). Can anyone recommend any vocab cards with antonyms/synonyms on please?
salsa

Post by salsa »

In theory, the test should not involve anything not covered in the new curriculum, so, provided they do well at school, they should be okay.

In reality, has anyone come across any topics outside of the curriculum up to year 5? Maybe year 6 stuff?

As far as vocabulary goes, it's hard to get children reading challenging texts.
Is your school sending interesting vocabulary home? Ours isn't, so, it's up to us.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

No Salsa, school doesn't send vocab home but they seem to be working on descriptive writing a lot at the moment. Ds and I have started a vocab book (an old address book!) in which I've put Patricia's word lists from this forum and others we come across in Bond, reading books etc (when we can remember!). Vocab seems to me to be an 'how long is a piece of string'. No idea what will come up or how - I think ds would recognise some complex words, or take an educated guess, in a sentence but words in isolation are difficult. The Cloze books seem to be fairly good practise for this but we havn't started those yet.

I think Mystery asked about 11+ content that wasn't covered in the NC on another thread - i'll try and find it. As ds is also sitting for Kent and St Olaves we are erring on the side of caution and attempting all topics covered to the end of KS2 and possibly stretching beyond in maths if ds up to it and we have time (his tutor group is full of seemingly genius maths kids at 9 years old which was a bit of an eye opener!). I am finding that some of the more complex problem solving maths stuff can be worked out quicker using very simple algebra, for example (which the tutor is working on).
salsa

Post by salsa »

Well, that's the point. I thought algebra wasn't covered in year 5. So, it shouldn't come up, should it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now