Bexley Test 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Essexyummum

Re: Bexley Test 2016

Post by Essexyummum »

Oh my goodness!! That's very competitive. Yes I'm 8 miles away as the crow flies (so only chance is based on score) and a 20 minute drive in normal traffic. When I read the criteria for chis and sid for example I was under the impression that it was top 180 who applied for that school? Need to get my head round it!

So, if my child is 181st in scores but the 180th child decides to not take up their Bexley place in the end and goes to a Kent grammar instead, would my child be next on the waiting list or would that place go to a child living closer?
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi Essexyummum,

It is not treated as a waiting list. If you are one of the top 180 scores you automatically get a place at a Bexley Grammar School, no matter where you live. If you are not one of the top 180 scores then it will be down to the school's criteria, usually distance. Not all top 180 scorers take up a Bexley grammar school place, but these places are not then given to those at 181 etc.

All the four Bexley Grammar schools take some of the top 180 scorers but not all of these children opt for a Bexley place.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

As further way of illustration we are not in Bexley but historically we are in distance for both Sid & Chis and Townley - although these get smaller every year. If our DD passes in top 180 (unlikely) we could choose any Bexley school (not Beth's as she is a girl!) but we might choose to turn it down if we put another school higher on our CAF and go that school. The top 180 slot doesn't go to anyone else but goes into the general pot of places based on oversubscription criteria. If she doesn't get top 180 but does pass then we are like any other, reliant on the over subscription criteria. DD does not have a sibling at any school so no connection there and so it boils down to distance. We are 3.7 miles from Sid & Chis so might not get first round but there is a chance in later round based on recent trends. For Townley they came out 8.1 miles safe walking route so we are about 6.8 miles safe walking route (5.2 as crow flies) so again may not get first round but may get later. All depends on distance for us or a really really good day for DD. For us personally we would be unlikely to sit her if it were for top 180 score alone but many do it. I know far too much about this. I am looking forward to getting a new focus in my life after this is all over!
Essexyummum

Post by Essexyummum »

This has opened my eyes. Thanks to you both for the replies, Pettswoodfiona and Mich895. It would be unfair to make a child sit such an exam if she can only get in based on a 180 in 5,000 chance. The only good reason from my point of view is if she is frightfully brilliant and heavily tutored or we only use the Bexley test as a rehearsal / mock for other exams (if that test takes place before most others).

If I may draw on your knowledge further...do you know of any of the children who made the top 180 and what sort of level were they? e.g. grade 5 or 6 maths/English? Top of their class / came from high performing prep schools, etc?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We are sitting this year (Wednesday to be precise....) so don't know levels. Also as we are looking to move from independent to state we don't have levels to compare as dD doesn't do SATs. I had a friend whose DC sat Kent & Bexley last year, they passed Kent but failed latter. Her own mum said she wasn't top of class and they didn't tutor but I think she is probably a late bloomer and has made a lot of progress at just the right time. Most parents I know tend to be fairly modest and don't sing from the rafters as they are acutely aware of others who haven't been so fortunate so often someone who got a top 180 is just another DC who passed, not obviously a top 180 child. If they got a top 180 but decided to take another place, likewise they may well not mention it so it is hard to tell.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

I do know a few who made it into the top 180. Intelligent, hard-working kids from local state schools. All from top tables with secure level 5 in Maths and English by the end of year5.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I also know many level 5 children who did not get in the top 180. If you see previous threads in this forum, you'll see that there were some children who prepared a lot, sat many papers and got top scores on most of the exams they took. At the end of the day they could only go to one school. In Bexley you are either in the top 180 and you can choose the school or even if you miss by one point and you are 181, you go by distance. Your score would only matter then if there was a tie in distance.
Essexyummum

Post by Essexyummum »

Thank you, salsa, mumsdarling and pettswood Fiona. Well noted. I think we stand a better chance with Wilmington girls in Kent as that's our second choice and closer in terms of distance. Their last admitted child lived further than we do. I'll keep an eye on this Bexley forum though.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Note Wilmington girls had a bulge class for this Sept intake so catchment is likely to be significantly smaller this year. I asked the admissions at WIlmington for girls and she said they definitely aren't doing a bulge class for Sept 2016. My friend's daughter who got in this Sept lives further out than we do ever so slightly but given trends and the smaller intake for 2016 compared to 2015 then it is anybody's guess. For Wilmington boys you can disregard the above. If you have a sibling at Wilmington (boys or girls) then distance of course doesn't apply.
Essexyummum

Post by Essexyummum »

I have a daughter so Wilmington girls. My daughter us in year five so sitting 2016 tests for 2017 entry. She's bright but you never know.

I think our best bet is to give her all the help she needs to do her best and have enough options available. Wilmington have a 10% reserved allocation for top marks in mathematics. Hopefully the odds are better than 180 in 5,000.