Bexley Grammar School admission number

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Alice73

Bexley Grammar School admission number

Post by Alice73 »

Has the admission number for 2008 been reduced compared to the one for 2007 for Bexley Grammar school? If this is the case, then why? Thanks.
Alice
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Yes, it's been reduced by 32 I think. I believe the reason is that Bexley Grammar apparently increased their intake on a temporary basis a few years ago to take account of a peak in the number of 10/11 year olds in the borough. Now that peak has passed, and because they feel they are struggling to meet the needs of their current intake in the accommodation they have, they have decided to go back to their original intake with effect from September 2008.

When we had our Year 6 meeting to talk about secondary schools someone from Bexley Admissions was present and I asked him if he thought this would impact on distance. He said that the LEA thought it would reduce the qualifying distance by about half a mile. The LEA fought against this very hard because it will further disadvantage people in the north of the borough who already struggle to get into Bexley grammar schools on distance.

Post by Guest »

I believe this relates to one school, that has won the judicial challenege for reducing intake, the number was temporarily increased due to birth rate, the school has now challanged and won the right to reduce, this is Bexley Grammar. Hope this helps/
l_bexley

Post by l_bexley »

A thought:

If there are less grammar places available in Bexley this year, will the pass mark be higher?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

No, this will not make any difference. There are too many passes for grammar places anyway. And there are normally vacancies at Erith School in its grammar stream.
traceyanne

Post by traceyanne »

I'm confused. Isn't it that the reason the pass mark changes every year to take into account how many places there are and how many children are sitting it? So in a year with a large cohort, the pass mark level will just be higher, to only allow the usual amount of children to the available places? I'm new to all this Tracey but trying hard to understand!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Ok, my daughter went through this for the first time last year. It's surprising how quick you pick up on these things! I wish I knew then what I know now!

On to the pass marks. Well you are correct in that they are variable each year. The pass level is set to account for the top 25% taking the exam. So in a nutshell the top 25% are 'selected' for a grammar education. I think it's about 4500 kids that take the test so 25% of that is approx 1125.

however:

There are not enough grammar places, last year it was approx 840 so there's a shortfall.

But,

Some children take the Kent Test and gain a place in Kent.

Some children/parents want a church education over a grammar.

Some don't like grammars full stop!

Bexley Grammar can't keep taking 224 children every year there is simply not the space so they have reduced future intakes by 32. Due to the location of the school this will probably effect children North of the borough although there will be places available at the bilateral school Erith.

Hope this helps.
traceyanne

Post by traceyanne »

Thanks Tracy, I get it now. So we should all get a grammar school place, just not necessarily where we want it if we've chosen places not near enough to home. Our main problem could be if all those who pass actually want to take up a place in grammar - yes? Would it be those with the lowest marks who could miss out on a place?
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Let's put everything into the hands of God. If our children are selective, we are up for grammar sooner or later no matter what. That's my expectation now. I want to look only forward. We should be praised for the support we gave our children. We did the best we could. I wish you all good luck. And, please, let us stay strong.
Alice
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

TraceyAnne,

No, the lowest pass marks do not forfeit a place in Bexley. If you make the required mark (430 last year) then, after the top 180 are catered for then the school's admission criteria apply. So, for example, someone living on the doorstep last year with 430 has preference over someone scoring 445 living 2 miles away.