Raw scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bob1892

Re: Raw scores

Post by Bob1892 »

Anyone else requested raw scores? Us brummies are in the search for correlating raw and sd scores :)
vinitasurya

Post by vinitasurya »

Sorry about the earlier typo NVR was definitely out of 53.

Yes very sad that DS lost 23 marks for 1 mistake in maths. Its like being penalised for being one of the older children. Would have definitely been in top 180 otherwise.

But we should be ok distance wise.

The total was out of 280. I know of a lot of children with scores like 266 272 271 etc
salsa

Post by salsa »

vinitasurya wrote:Sorry about the earlier typo NVR was definitely out of 53.

Yes very sad that DS lost 23 marks for 1 mistake in maths. Its like being penalised for being one of the older children. Would have definitely been in top 180 otherwise.

But we should be ok distance wise.

The total was out of 280. I know of a lot of children with scores like 266 272 271 etc
A great score, congratulations.
Are your friends getting raw scores? It would help other parents. We still don't know about the pass raw scores. If you know of anyone, could you post them here?

Many thanks!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Salsa why would you not challenge that maths score, given you are so close to a top 180 place?

Does any one have lower SD and raw score to share??

Brum community are in state of shock with these results
salsa

Post by salsa »

Petitpois wrote:Salsa why would you not challenge that maths score, given you are so close to a top 180 place?

Does any one have lower SD and raw score to share??

Brum community are in state of shock with these results
I would if it was my child! My eldest took the test in 2013 and my youngest will take it next year.
I wouldn't worry so much in Birmingham, Durham University with their CEM test have messed up at lot in Bexley and they change the test every year. I'm not very impressed. They are up for renewal this year and a lot depends on this year results. They just lost to GL in Kent. Another poster said that last year only 7% of Bexley residents passed. Bexley is close to Kent and Bromley, so children from those regions and other London boroughs take the test. I really don't think you need to worry in Birmingham.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Does anyone have any figures in terms of how many state school DC passed this year?

I asked them last year how many DC from Bexley state schools had passed and they said that out of about 2400 entries 425 were deemed selective.

I did not ask about Indies of OOC.

Would be interesting to compare this year vs last year.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

is this a fair summary of the situation down there??

Petitpois wrote:I have gone through the posts over the last couple of years for Bexley and the 55% seems to hold.

Fact that you get treated special if your top 180 is a response to the highly dense nature of the London borough. Get top 180 score so you get special treatment out of the 800 places on offer across the four schools...... or your into a complete lottery job based on catchment distance for the grammars. Must be a nightmare there.

Mostly Tory MP's so leafy suburbs and and I sort of don't understand why two examples (one of which is highly anomalous with the maths Standardisation has got every one so spooked ......Bob)

Am I missing something other than a more normal score. I strongly suspect that if your in the more normal SD range, you will have rapidly concluded that all hope is lost unless you live opposite the grammar school gate.

For everyone else sticking to the 55% get you scores for the 800 ranging from around 215 to 250+(the top 180).

If brum mirrors that and I see no reason why it should not then plenty of people will be getting say 60-65% and still achieving places at KE schools.

Just thank your lucky stars and you don't live in Bromley. Have a very bright kid that scores 247 (and missed the 180), but get trumped by the richer parent who lives in a £950k detached nearer the school gates, but whose kid scores 219.
harish_sry

Post by harish_sry »

I obtained the formula and the parameters used for standardising scores from the council

Age std score = Standard Deviation* {raw score - (age* age coefficient)- mean}/ SD + Mean

They have used a mean of 200 and Standard Deviation (SD) of approximately 30.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Petitpois,

I don’t understand your post.

I live in Bexley and both my DDs would have been able to get in to all 3 grammars based on distance. (Not Beths obviously) Sadly our house is not a £1 million detached with swimming pool and sauna.

Why should a child who gets a low pass mark but lives close to the school not get the place in favour of a child who lives in Bromley and just missed the top 180.
I’m sure that even though the child only just gets a pass it should be able to do well at GS?

I don't understand, sorry.
MSD

Post by MSD »

harish_sry wrote:I obtained the formula and the parameters used for standardising scores from the council

Age std score = Standard Deviation* {raw score - (age* age coefficient)- mean}/ SD + Mean

They have used a mean of 200 and Standard Deviation (SD) of approximately 30.
Thanks Harish! That would explain SD scores in 200's :D

But strange to use a mean of 200. I would say 100 is the normal industry standard.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now