Kent tests for Bexley children

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bexley Mum 2

Kent tests for Bexley children

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I'm feeling extremely depressed as, having done the Bexley tests in November, my son is making me feel like a complete sadist for entering him for the Kent 11+ test. We've not done any practice at all for it and I barely mentioned it at all until last week when he asked when it was. He now broods about it every night at bedtime and I've just spent another gruelling hour with him trying to get him to understand why he should do it without making him feel even more anxious. The whole process is so complex and the rationale behind our choices so convaluted it's not something I can - or probably should - try to explain to an 11 year old.

The Kent test is our Plan B but he keeps saying he doesn't want to go to a Kent school (we've put Dartford and Wilmington down) so it's difficult to convince him that he should do it. Unfortunately, we also entered him for Colfe's (in the hope of a sports scholarship) as our Plan C and their entrance exam is the day before the Kent tests so he has two lots of tests on consecutive days :( .

I'm tempted to give in and say he needn't go - we'll just hope he's passed the Bexley 11+ and accept the fact that, if he hasn't, he'll be going to Bexleyheath which he said himself he doesn't like and which is now in special measures.....

Any other Bexley residents in the same boat? - apparently I've spoilt my son's Xmas :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Don't worry too much, apparently I ruin my chidren's Christmas every year!!

I'd keep it low key, is it on a school day? A perfect excuse to get out of lessons, on a weekend a perfect excuse to avoid going round "boring" shops with mum or helping with the housework (cleaning the bathroom or tidying your room is good)

:wink:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Glad to hear I'm not the only spoiler of Xmas!

Colfe's is on Friday but I know he'd rather be at school. The Kent tests are on Saturday when he'd normally be in the park with his mates... He's pumped me for every bit of information he can - I told him the Kent tests would last the morning and he said, "what, like 10-12?" to which I had to reply "well, no 8.30 'til 2.30". His face was a picture.

He's such a drama queen - his parting shot to me last night was, "and THEN I'll have to worry about my SATS". Yes, I have told him repeatedly that his SATS results are of no consequence to anyone but his school but he just has to have something to worry about.

Suppose I'll just have to continue in the role of villain!
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

I wanted to register my DD for Kent exams as well. But then thought about the distance and changed my mind. I think I have made a right decision as Bexley tests were stressful enough. But my DD is going to sit independent school's exam soon, and tested for scholarships as well. She is not very happy about it, but says she will do it as she is very keen to work on the art portfolio :D This time of 11 + comes only once, and once it's done then it's done. But I do feel for our children. The good thing is they cope with things much better than us, grown ups. So, just keep the spirit up! They will be fine!
Alice