Travel costs from Bromley to Tonbridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousnelly

Travel costs from Bromley to Tonbridge

Post by nervousnelly »

Does anyone know what the most cost effective way for a child to travel from Bromley to Tonbridge would be? Any idea of the rough costs?

Many thanks
PettswoodFiona

Re: Travel costs from Bromley to Tonbridge

Post by PettswoodFiona »

When I was looking at the possibilities for DD to travel from Petts Wood to Tonbridge I asked a slightly different question. What was the most reliable and speediest route? We wanted to know if it was worth sitting the test and we decided a seventeen minute journey on the train plus a walk each end was quite practical but we would prefer a choice on our doorstep so sat the exams hoping we'd get a choice. So for us that best route was no doubt a train but we are slightly further out than you so it is an easier choice. Prices are on the Southeastern website and you could do Bromley South to Orp and then Orp to Tonbridge unless someone comes along with a better suggestion. There is a 402 bus which runs from Bromley to Tonbridge but it will take an age and make any child's day very long also taking a look at the timetable the ones direct from Bromley start too late to get any child from Bromley to Tonbridge in time, the first one being 7.30 from Brom North, arriving Tonbridge 9.13. Sometimes the PTA have coaches they arrange so also worth checking direct with the school.

This was one of the reasons we decided to go with the grammar on our doorstep rather than the longer journey but you know your choices and your DC best.
nervousnelly

Post by nervousnelly »

Thanks Pettswoodfiona. Yes - we know that our DS can take train to either Orpington or Sevenoaks and then change to get to Tonbridge. Not too long a journey, as we tried it. It was more about the costs because I don't know if there is a monthly pass, subsidised travel for kids etc. Would an annual pass be a good idea, given the risks of losing it etc etc. Was hoping someone might have experience of the journey.

We are hoping for a place in our more local GS, but won't know until March - travelling to Tonbridge is our 2nd choice because of the greater distance.

Many thanks!
J50

Post by J50 »

I'm not in your area but you may well find that the cheapest way of buying train tickets is a termly or half-termly season ticket. With SW Trains we could specify the exact starting and end dates and this definitely was the cheapest way. Try the train company website in your area, we could check the exact price online then he had to either buy the ticket on the day or after 12 noon on the Saturday before the Monday starting day.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

nervousnelly wrote:Yes - we know that our DS can take train to either Orpington or Sevenoaks and then change to get to Tonbridge. Not too long a journey, as we tried it. It was more about the costs because I don't know if there is a monthly pass, subsidised travel for kids etc. Would an annual pass be a good idea, given the risks of losing it etc etc.
Note you can get a direct train to Tonbridge from Orpington, no need to change. You can definitely buy monthly children's tickets. I don't know if Southeastern do termly tickets, I know some bus companies do but not sure about the train companies. With the amount of the school holidays unless your DC is likely to use it a lot there may not be a benefit in getting an annual. I am sure you've already used the SE railway website but a monthly child ticket Bromley Sth to Tonbridge is £124 and for a year £1294 (at current prices). Ask at your local office as they will have more options.

Well done to your DS for doing well enough to get a score good enough for OOC. I know with recent admissions changes at Judd and Skinners it has been it even harder than before.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Just to say that southeastern let you buy tickets for the exact dates you need - i.e. the first day of term to the last day of that half-term, which works out to be the cheapest way to use the train - we did that for DS. Now he is over 16 he uses his oyster card, but that is obviously only possible in London (although it does now go out to Dartford);
nervousnelly

Post by nervousnelly »

Thank you all for your very helpful replies! :)
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I agree that the cheapest way to buy train tickets is for the length of each half term and Southeastern do allow this. Do be aware that when your child turns 16 in Year 11 he / she will need to purchase an adult ticket which will be about double the price of the child fare. From Bromley this is not going to be cheap. There are no scholars fares ( atm).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now