Year 6 primary too easy?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Re: Year 6 primary too easy?

Post by Tinkers »

Enough. Let's get back to the main topic in hand please.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Accept a degree of boredom. Unstructured time isn't always a bad thing. Learning to cope with it politely isn't a bad skill. Use the time to daydream a bit. Write stories. Draw. Relax. Enjoy.

Take full advantage of the school / local library. Read for pure pleasure. Listen to stories.

Outside school, switch the focus to music, art, cycling / sport, board games or going for a walk more often.

If you must do something else, throw everyday problems their way every so often involving quantities for baking, money, the kind of real life problem solving that needs simple arithmetic, tables or fractions, etc. No need to "advance", just preventing rust would be fine. :-)

If a child is behind in something, it might be helpful to keep enough momentum going to close the gap a bit by September. Research shows that vocabulary and reading ability in particular continue to get better over the summer in educated families, because they value it and enjoy it. Children who take a reading holiday don't just stay the same, they fall further behind, because the kids who were already ahead keep reading and the gap widens.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Not read the whole topic but I think it is sad that all a lot of people want to do is push at primary level. They are still young, let them enjoy year 6 before moving in to year 7. I think year 6 should be about fun and making memories.

I have 2 at GS and I let both coast in year 6, we considered it to be a bit of a gap year tbh... They did not have a problem in terms of the work when they got to Y7 at GS.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Quite agree
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Not read the whole topic but I think it is sad that all a lot of people want to do is push at primary level. They are still young, let them enjoy year 6 before moving in to year 7. I think year 6 should be about fun and making memories.
:D
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Would have loved a relaxed year 6. At our primary it was all about SATs. SATs master classes every morning and SATs practise books to complete at home. DD2 and her friends were so fed up with it all they couldn't wait to leave!
J50

Post by J50 »

MerlinFromCamelot wrote:Not read the whole topic but I think it is sad that all a lot of people want to do is push at primary level. They are still young, let them enjoy year 6 before moving in to year 7. I think year 6 should be about fun and making memories.

Yeah totally agree.

booellesmum wrote:Would have loved a relaxed year 6. At our primary it was all about SATs. SATs master classes every morning and SATs practise books to complete at home. DD2 and her friends were so fed up with it all they couldn't wait to leave!

Yeah we had the same. Though DS didn't do any of the SATs homework books set, but did participate in classes during school time, though there wasn't too much.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now