Newstead Wood September 2016 starters

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thebestmummy

Re: Newstead Wood September 2016 starters

Post by thebestmummy »

Hello, we haven't received anything yet either ...
We'll probably get it on Tues night
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Thanks thebestmummy, that is reassuring. See you there.
GeorgiaG

Post by GeorgiaG »

Not heard anything either since the letter from 1st March, so very much in the same boat. Hopefully we will find everything we need to know tomorrow evening.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

So the parent's evening has been and gone. We know DD's house and form. Walking home now and nearly at my front door. 28 minutes in heels. It would have taken just as long to get the bus and walk but probably a bit far with a heavy bag for DD, but a good fall back. Thanks for those who came up to me and asked if I was PWF - now you know me in RL too. :D
thebestmummy

Post by thebestmummy »

Yes it was very informative . My daughter stayed up till I got home
to find out what form she's in .
What form is your DD in ?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Wren. And your DD?
Also of note for any future parents lurking here the allocation from schools seems a bit random. DD's old school has a fair number attending but she is the only one in her form and then there are a couple in another and three in another so not a defined way of keeping the girls together or splitting them up. There are also two classes of 27, three of 26 and one of 28.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Wren. And your DD?
Also of note for any future parents lurking here the allocation from schools seems a bit random. DD's old school has a fair number attending but she is the only one in her form and then there are a couple in another and three in another so not a defined way of keeping the girls together or splitting them up. There are also two classes of 27, three of 26 and one of 28.
Just out of curiosity, assuming that the school is currently at a PAN of 160 (i.e.that those class sizes are deliberate), does that figure represent the lower end of the range that their capacity calculations originally came up with? A PAN of 160 at a fully academically selective school might normally assume five classes of 32 (at a comprehensive school, a number which builds iPhone one or two smaller classes for what DD's previous school termed the 'Access Stream' - for children needing greater individual attention - might be more common, possibly). Being able to have six forms of entry, could they actually increase their intake to 180 or even 192, or is there a big variation in the size of the classrooms?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
monak

Post by monak »

Hi, I am new here. My daughter is in 7G. Anyone else from 7G here?

I have just created new "secret" Facebook group called "Newstead Wood Year 7 (2016/2017)". As it has "secret" status you will not be able to find it but if you PM me with your name I should be able to find you and add to the group. After that people can add each other. What do you think about it?

Thanks, M
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hi Monak, thanks for doing that, I have pm'd you.

Toadmum, I believe the class numbers are due to size of room restraints. If they knocked the whole school down and built it again they could probably fit more in, but not with the rooms the size they are. I've seen similar comments about some other schools in a report by Bromley Council when they have been looking at opportunities to expand capacity but the capital investment required would be too huge to justify it. Someone may come along to correct me as I have read so much stuff and that is what I seem to remember but now can't find the link to the Bromley Council report.

When I get home I need to dig out the dates of DD's last tetanus jab so I can complete the Harry Potter outing form. I know I had that info recently for when DD started at Guides, I am just hoping I put it back in the right place. :)
thebestmummy

Post by thebestmummy »

Monak, thank you ,I have pm'd you.
Great idea
My daughter will be in Swift
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now