Bexley grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I do think non-selective schools can be better than grammars but only in areas where there are no grammars to cream off the more able students. Do you have any experience of non-selective schools in Bexley? I don't have any direct experience but my second son has just done the 11+ so I've tried to find out as much about them as I can and visit where possible. The nearest and most accessible ones to us are Erith and Bexleyheath - both of which are huge schools. I've heard some awful things about Bexleyheath (race fights, truanting etc) and they've just gone into special measures. But to be fair I do know people with children at Bexleyheath who are happy with the school. Erith is probably better in my view but there are lots of things I don't like about it. I've not really looked at any of the other non-selective schools but while I've heard lots of comments from other parents about them, i've never ever heard anyone describe Bexley non-selective schools as excellent!

I don't know either of the schools you mention I'm afraid, but we have friends in Plumstead who have looked this year at schools in Bexley and Greenwich and i think they were more impressed with non-selective schools in Greenwich.

It's a nightmare isn't it!
guest123

Post by guest123 »

No, I don't have experience of non-selective schools in Bexley. But I just had an image of perfect secondary schools there, probably based on the fact that there are grammars in the borough. It's quite interesting matter, but maybe the explanation is simple. The grammars take the majority of able students, like you said. On the other hand, Plumstead/Woolwich like areas' contingent is mostly Vicky Pollard type, sorry. And I thought that Bexley was more academic. But, it is 50/50 then. Good grammar schools in Bexley vs good non-selectives in Greenwich. This is encouraging.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

My year 7 daughter came home with a copy of the latest ofsted report for Bexley Grammar. I had 1s all over it!
guest123

Post by guest123 »

Yes, I have read the BGS report. It's excellent!