Townley Grammar - Outstanding

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Muggle

Townley Grammar - Outstanding

Post by Muggle »

It’s great to see that Townley has been judged to be an Outstanding school in every respect during its recent OFSTED inspection. :D

I have three children at three different grammars and must say I think the Outstanding grading is well deserved, it’s an excellent school.
sobz70

Re: Townley Grammar - Outstanding

Post by sobz70 »

I am quite delighted too as it is my nearest grammar and previously we were not really keen on it but since the ofsted outstanding report- I will definitely look into the school seriously if my daughter passes the Bexley 11+.
Any parents out there with children in Townley? How do the girls find it? Are you pleased with the school? How does it compare to Newstead wood or Dartford Grammar?
Thanks.
Last edited by sobz70 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I loved it when we looked round and preferred it to Newstead but Newstead is on our doorstep so we are going with that - if it wasn't for the journey I'd have had Townley top of our list.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Thank you- why would Townley be top of your list? We loved Newstead but it's quite a journey.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Townley has an excellent Head, Newstead is without a Head. Townley have amazing IT suites and the equipment at Newstead is creaking. Recent worries about NW pastoral issues. Some girls at DD's school who had gone into NW had ended up back at BH. Townley had passionate teachers when I looked round, the Newstead ones I met weren't bad but just didn't seem as enthusiastic and committed as the Townley ones. When comparing the accounts of both schools Townley was in a far better state. Comparing the Governors focus at each school I liked Townley more. Newstead has larger class sizes of 32 which aren't the end of the world but just another differential. Newstead seems crammed on its plot, Townley seems to have more space despite being more urban. I got out voted in a family meeting and would have put Townley first on our CAF as there is a direct bus and it has come out further than us in past years (with the Outstanding rating that might change of course). DH and DD went for Newstead as it is only a mile away and despite my comparison here it is an amazing school which we would be proud of our daughter attending. My ideal scensrio now is that Mr Deehan is ready for a new challenge and decides to move to Newstead - highly unlikely but you never know!
Gingertomcat

Post by Gingertomcat »

My daughter is very happy and settled at Townley, the Ofsted Outstanding is thoroughly deserved. We looked at Newstead, not overly impressed.
Gingertomcat

Post by Gingertomcat »

Townley has an excellent coach service (operated by DJ Coaches), from Petts Wood, Orpington, Green Street Green and Chelsfield, the service has been in place since September 2015, a safe, reliable option to and from school, the route and cost are on the Townley Grammar website and on the DJ Coaches website.
Almondcross

Post by Almondcross »

Hi,

Does anyone know why their admission number for 2016-17 has recently increased to 224 on their website from the original published 210?

Many thanks in advance!
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

I am interested to know the answer to this too and whether it will be the same number next year?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If you divide the new number by the same number of classes (7) then that makes 32 per class which seems some schools have been doing for a while so with tight school budgets and their new rating which will make them more popular then it probably isn't a surprise.