St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Post by doodles »

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at assembly on Monday.

I just hope that the powers that be realise that they need to listen and acknowledge and discuss the issues and don't just take the stance that they are the senior management team and that's it.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Decisions are down to the Governors to approve not just the SLT.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I am completely aware of that Guest55 but I would imagine that the head and SLT would be the first to discuss the matter with the school.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Technically I believe it is the Governors responsibility but, yes, they would seek guidance from SLT.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hmmm, I wonder who will be standing on the stage on Monday morning addressing the pupils? The Governors or the Headmaster and his sidekicks? Probably the Headmaster.
:wink:
salsa

Post by salsa »

Gosh, do you reckon this is a genuine post from one of the teachers?

"I'm a teacher of Saint Olave's Grammar school and I cannot believe this is happening! Detentions to year sevens' for signing this? I want to see what they give me. This is just wrong. I wasn't even told about the change in the new boundaries and after speaking to my colleagues, most of them hadn't either. That is why I am signing this."
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

There is another one, too:

"As an English teacher of the school, I believe that this change was uncalled for and fully support the reversal of it. The teachers weren't even told of the change. The fact that detentions are being handed out for signing the petition is just silly and I honestly do not support any sort of this. I am ready to face the consequences of signing this as a parent (my son doesn't come to this school), I would not like this to happen to him.

Good luck boys.

Maria O'Sullivan, Orpington, United Kingdom"

Is that a real teacher's name?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PurpleDuck wrote:There is another one, too:

"As an English teacher of the school, I believe that this change was uncalled for and fully support the reversal of it. The teachers weren't even told of the change. The fact that detentions are being handed out for signing the petition is just silly and I honestly do not support any sort of this. I am ready to face the consequences of signing this as a parent (my son doesn't come to this school), I would not like this to happen to him.

Good luck boys.

Maria O'Sullivan, Orpington, United Kingdom"

Is that a real teacher's name?
Got sidetracked having a nose for a staff list, by this little piece from one of their newsletters:

'You might be interested to see the following comparator table of Oxbridge offers 2016, which I have
found published on school websites. I hope you will agree that it brings into focusjust how outstanding
the achievements of our students are, even more so when you consider the woefully tight budget on
which we operate, especially compared to the schools on the right.
State
St Olave’s Grammar School 39
QE Barnet 36
RGS Colchester 34
Dr Challoner 21
Tiffin 20
KEGs Chelmsford 20
Reading School 18
Portsmouth GS 18
RGS Lancaster 15
Newstead Wood 12
Dartford Boys’ 9
Ripon GS 7
Independent
RGS Guildford 38
Sevenoaks 36
Tonbridge 31
Oundle 30
King Edward’s, B’ham 27
Whitgift 22
Alleyn’s 21
JAGS 21
Dulwich College 16'
(As you may have guessed, the list of indies is on the right in the original).

I'm trying to decide how to break it to DH that his old school only managed 16 Oxbridge offers this year; I just know that if will be devastated.

I also know that when DS2 and I visited the state school which only managed 20, the them HT made it clear that they actually promote helping students to achieve the outcome which is best for them, rather than the 'best' university place, IYSWIM.(This was in answer to the inevitable question from the parent of a prospective 11+ candidate as to how many sixth formers the school got into Oxbridge :evil:).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

Wow! How is this knowledge relevant at 11? The best university for a person doesn't mean the most prestigious one!
Mind you, a parent approached at our primary school wanting to know what the best grammar was for her daughter so that she could be a doctor. I was surprised that the child was already so sure especially if she was in year 2!

Now in year 4, the mother bumped into me at our local supermarket with more questions and said that since year 2 her daughter had been doing two hours preparation every evening. Was that enough? Was the homework at grammar more than that? I said that her daughter was doing more work than my son who is in year 8!

I'm sure that when she makes it into a super selective she will be used to the pressure and work. :(
salsa

Post by salsa »

doodles wrote:Hmmm, I wonder who will be standing on the stage on Monday morning addressing the pupils? The Governors or the Headmaster and his sidekicks? Probably the Headmaster.
:wink:
Well, after reading this parent's comment I wonder who will indeed face the headmaster to represent the petition?

"As a parent of a pupil at the school , I am outraged at the behaviour of the management staff towards the pupils that have signed or wish to sign this petition. If the allegations of threats and bullying are true, then all the values and ethos that the school supposedly stands for, are just a scam and a fraud. I firmly believed that this school was the right one for my son, but yet again my trust in another education pillar is fading fast. How can I trust a school that promises to deal with bullies effectively, when the pupils are bullied by the very people that should be their role models? How can I trust a school that promises to take care of my son's wellbeing and education, when effectively it's just becoming an exam /targets/grades institution just for the growing ego of a few people? As a teacher myself, I have a duty of care to my own pupils. Where is this duty of care in the St Olave's senior management?
From the school's mission statement: "encouraging understanding, respect and tolerance for all; developing an appreciation of right and wrong within moral and social responsibility" . This extract should not be just for the pupils but for all the staff too. Is there or isn't there freedom of speach in ths country? What about human rights and equality?
The school prides itself in having the best and britghest pupils already super selected in the entrance test for yr7 so there is no need to raise the points system for 6th form for the internal students, who will perform far better in a peaceful, confident, supportive and caring enviroment, than in this state of terror,intimidation and anxiety.
I teach my children and my pupils that every action carries a consequence, whether good or not. So Senior Management accept this petition as a consequence of your actions and don't blame the pupils for ruining the name of the school as you are doing it all by yourself. It's time you accept responsibility and act upon it in a positive and fair manner so that parents and pupils regain faith and pride in this institution."
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now