Anyone done an 11 plus mock test for Newstead Wood?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Beck_mum

Anyone done an 11 plus mock test for Newstead Wood?

Post by Beck_mum »

I was thinking about sending my daughter for a mock test this Friday (we're away for much of the summer camping or on music courses).

We're very late starters and only started practising tests a few weeks ago, so I think it would be helpful for her to get a sense of how much work she needs to do before the test.
She's doing fine on the relatively easy VR and NVR 10 minute tests we've been doing (Schofield and Sims book 5), 100% most of the time, but I'm aware these are probably nowhere near as hard as the actual test.

The test is with this company http://11plusmocktests.homestead.com/bo ... -wood.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be really grateful for any feedback from people who have used them as to whether it's worth it or not. I don't want to spend £50 if the feedback isn't worthwhile and it isn't a good simulation of the actual test (in terms of difficulty level).

Thanks so much in advance.
vmcguire

Re: Anyone done an 11 plus mock test for Newstead Wood?

Post by vmcguire »

Actually my daughter has done this twice. Once at Easter and on the other week. They are great value for money. It is run very well and smoothly. You only have to wait 3/4 days for results and you get a detailed feedback of results.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

We also did a mock with this provider and thought the feedback was excellent. About 145 sat in our session (boys and girls). They tell you exactly which questions your child got wrong and also you can ask for the returned papers for a small fee. However I can't say about the level of difficulty for Newstead or how representative it was of the NW test as our ds sat the mock for a different school which included maths, vr, nvr and English. I would recommend them.
Beck_mum

Post by Beck_mum »

thanks vmcguire and grgygirl - that's helpful.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We used that provider last year. The feedback on what types of question they consistently get right or wrong helped us focus revision. Also that DD marked some boxes diagonally so they didn't count - mistakes good to find out in a mock and not the real thing.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Hi there- my daughter is also sitting this mock tomorrow. PettswoodFiona- how representative is this mock of the real exam? Are the Newstead exams generally like the GL mocks in verbal and non verbal reasoning? any other good practice materials for the real thing?
Thanks!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I haven't a clue how representative of the real exam it is as I didn't sit (obviously!) and now DD can't remember as it was a year ago now. She did all four papers anyway in the mock rather than just two for Newstead as she likes tests and wanted the practice generally. Sorry I can't be of much help. For us the best thing about the mocks was the identification that DD was going diagonally across some boxes so they weren't counting and also the analysis of the types of questions that she needed to gem up on. The ranking was a nice-to-have and gave us a lot of encouragement that what we were doing was obviously on the right track.