In case we don't pass, Coopers/Crown Woods bands help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Top25

In case we don't pass, Coopers/Crown Woods bands help

Post by Top25 »

Can anyone help me with the bands for admission for Coopers and Crown Woods?

For Coopers, which is most academic, Band 1 or Band 8?

Crown Woods has 5 published admission distances. I reach one of them.
1a, 1b, 2a, 2b and 3. What do they mean?

Thank you
ToadMum

Re: In case we don't pass, Coopers/Crown Woods bands help

Post by ToadMum »

I'm not personally familiar with the schools, I'm afraid (and for some reason, my phone's OS is very distrustful of Coopers school's website admissions tab, security-wise :shock: ), but if you are talking about a 'fair banding' system, it doesn't matter which way up it is, so to speak, because your DC is put into whichever band depending on where they come in the distribution of scores and then the allocation of a place (or not) is based on distance or whatever criteria are applied within each band.You'd can't choose which band they will be in.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I believe band 1 is the most academic for Coopers which in past years has been all offered, relecting that the most academic often chose a grammar place hence more spaces. However I was told that by another parent and don't have any solid base for my information but it does make sense to me. The higher number bands typically come out less than two miles looking at past information booklets from Bromley Council. One friend's DC who sat never got told their band. No knowledge of Crown Woods.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Crown Woods bands are based on the scores given by Greenwich Primary schools at the end of year 5 with band 1 being the most academic.

Crown Woods is divided into 3 separate schools, with Delamere being the most academic, and I think the other 2 are supposed to be at the same level as each other. When you apply you just apply for the school as a whole, which is where the banding comes into play. Once you have a place you attend for a test (computer based i believe) and this puts you into one of the 3 schools. I think they may discuss it with the primary school as well. I know of parents who applied assuming their child would be put in Delamere, but then they weren't, so you need to be fairly happy with all 3 schools.
salsa

Post by salsa »

2childmum wrote:Crown Woods bands are based on the scores given by Greenwich Primary schools at the end of year 5 with band 1 being the most academic.

Crown Woods is divided into 3 separate schools, with Delamere being the most academic, and I think the other 2 are supposed to be at the same level as each other. When you apply you just apply for the school as a whole, which is where the banding comes into play. Once you have a place you attend for a test (computer based i believe) and this puts you into one of the 3 schools. I think they may discuss it with the primary school as well. I know of parents who applied assuming their child would be put in Delamere, but then they weren't, so you need to be fairly happy with all 3 schools.
Hi all,
Banding in Greenwich has changed. There will be only 3 bands and I don't know how this will affect entry into Crown Woods. There used to be an external exam for banding and now it has been left to schools to do their own testing. This is from the Council:

"Thank you for your email, for entry in September 2017/18 there will be 3 ability bands; exceeding national standards, working at national standards and working towards national standards."

Salsa
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now