Newstead consults on joining a MAT - United Learning Trust

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PettswoodFiona

Newstead consults on joining a MAT - United Learning Trust

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It all sounds fairly positive to me, but I will be mulling it over. I know I will be asking about the ability for the school to make decisions about the proportion of more experienced teachers, which NW seems to have more of than some other schools, I can't see why not but I think is a good question. http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... _a_MAT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone else have experience of the proposed MAT, the United Learning Trust?

They have sent some FAQs also to existing parents, it seems apart from savings in support areas like HR and procurement it will be a status quo and admissions and selection will be the same.
sobz70

Re: Newstead consults on joining a MAT - United Learning Tru

Post by sobz70 »

Hi there,
I am a bit worried about what this will mean for Newstead. How are the current parents feeling about this?
Hopefully the school's high standards will remain academically.
If it means that they will have more funds and support through MAT - it could only be a good thing I guess.
Any negatives? Can potential future parents attend the consultation?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I think that it is a good move. It is particularly difficult for grammar schools to get the economies of scale which are now necessary for secondary schools. I don't think that NW and St Olave's have ever really considered themselves to be partner schools - that would have been the other default MAT, but presumably fraught with difficulties over which head would be overall executive.

United Learning is also very good at identifying and training its leaders, and from memory NW had had some difficulty in recruiting senior leaders. So the fact the NW would now be part of a larger family with a decent pool of leaders to recruit from would be very positive.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

I was thinking exactly the same- surely it would make sense to join St Olave's and other grammar schools in the surrounding areas to make a MAT? I guess the logistics of this would be harder though.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

St Olave's is unusual due its historical links to the Dulwich estate, and it will not have the same need to become an academy. I do note that they have associated themselves to the Woodard Trust (another organisation which originally was just looking after independent schools), but associate membership just provides access to conferences etc rather than the hands on aspects of joining a MAT.

If they need to achieve cost savings quickly, then joining the Wallington Nonsuch Trust might be riskier simply because it hasn't been around for that long, and has less of a track record. UL has been around for longer and has a fairly good track record. I tried to get another school into ULT but they're quite fussy about who they take!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

This is interesting news. My daughter left Newstead few years ago but as I have very fond memories of it I folllow their news with interest. All state schools are going to feel the financial pressures, especially grammars. I think this is a very positive step they are thinking of taking. Better to do it yourself than be forced into it at a later date. I've had a look at United Learning and they have selective schools so that's good. They also have girls' schools which is another plus. Newstead couldn't have joined with St Olave's as St Olave's isn't an academy. The other optin was Harris, I supoose, but thats a completely different ethos!
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Hi there! Did any parents go to the consultation? How did you feel? I'm still not sure if it's the best decision but time will tell.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Parents at the school will have received a letter from United Learning confirming that Newstead is now part of their MAT. It talks of 'already putting plans in place to enhance' the school by working with independent schools Guildford High and Ashford.

A statement (but not the same wording as the letter to parents) is also on the United Learning website: http://unitedlearning.org.uk/News/ArtMI ... d-Learning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;