Newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PettswoodFiona

Re: Newstead

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Well done to your DD Adda, that is an amazing score. I note you only registered today, I hope you stay on the forum and give some support to others going through the process next year.
BexleyheathStation

Post by BexleyheathStation »

Hi Fiona, thanks for giving advice on this forum. I would like to take you on your offer for finding more about the NW.
Having read comments on other forums, there has been mixed messages from students and parents of NW.
Can you please tell me more of your DD school life at NW?

Eg Quality of teaching, resources, extra curricular, homework, class size and anything else that you feel would help on determining whether I should put NW as 1st choice. We missed Open Day cause of an important clash and therefore I lack information about the school.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

BexleyheathStation wrote:Hi Fiona, thanks for giving advice on this forum. I would like to take you on your offer for finding more about the NW.
Having read comments on other forums, there has been mixed messages from students and parents of NW.
Can you please tell me more of your DD school life at NW?

Eg Quality of teaching, resources, extra curricular, homework, class size and anything else that you feel would help on determining whether I should put NW as 1st choice. We missed Open Day cause of an important clash and therefore I lack information about the school.
I do think if you were seriously considering this school you would have found time in the last couple of years to visit the school. We visited the school in Y5 as we knew it was high up on our list and we didn't want to risk not being able to go. Turn up on Saturday, this Saturday 15th and help out at the Spruce up Saturday where you will find parents, governors, teachers and students all helping out at the school. You won't get a tour but you will get a flavour of how everyone pulls together. You will also understand that the school tends to spend its money on experienced teachers and if you look at the minutes of the PET team or the PTA you will get a flavour of what they fund from books to library refurbishments to new music room computers.

Saving retyping, I link to a post about my DD's new experience here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 51&t=48193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . There is a wide curriculum balancing academic and non-academic. They are not streamed or setted in Y7 but are generally taught in form groups except for the odd lesson like DT where they mix them up.

You can find the extra curricular on the website here: http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... ctivities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there are all sorts of clubs, ranging from sports to history club to bee keeping. There is no pressure to join. There are also such things as Twilight courses in Mandarin, Latin and Japanese you can see past letters to parents about these on the Parents letter page. http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/Parents/Letters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Y7 homework is about 45 minutes an evening, it is fairly similar to what DD got at primary school so not too much. About an hour and a half at the weekend max. She did do beyond the guidelines once and her teacher told her to stick to guidelines so they don't put too much pressure on them. Class sizes range from 26 to 28. DD is in a class of 27. All the girls in her class seem lovely and very supportive of each other.

In recent weeks of Y7 they've done some subtle assessments of the girls and if they spotted any concerns (not many) they got in touch with the parents. They will be reporting back at half term with a fuller report at the end of term. More details on Assessment here: http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... ssessment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DD came from a highly sought after independent school and I believe the quality of education at Newstead far outstrips that fee-paying school if that helps with any comparison.
bickleyrara

Post by bickleyrara »

New to this site and forum. But have read the pages and found it comforting that I'm not alone, so many of us going through the turmoil of secondary school selection.
Our DD got 219, is it going to be good enough? If you are on waiting list do they tell you?
Seems like its going to be a long wait till next March and possibly longer. What is the lowest score that get in??
Ah wish the wait wasn't so long.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I will also add that whilst it is a good fit for my DD, every child is different so you do really need to see the school
Billie

Post by Billie »

Agree with PettswoodFiona....it is vital you have a look at the school and see if it is right for your daughter....go along on Saturday and get a feel and ask questions.

I have one daughter there, she is very happy. Would it be right for my second, no way.

As for scores.... my view...if your daughter has over 230 they would be guaranteed an offer in March. Between 224 and 229 an offer in March is highly likely. Below 224 is not so clear. 222 - 224 is the norm for March cut off. After March and what the score goes down to depends on the decisions people make and the other schools they are considering. It is interesting the score has gone to 215... I have never known it go that low before.
Liddle

Post by Liddle »

New to this forum. Just joined.

Received the results yesterday.

My DD got 231.

I heard the competition is very high this year. Anxiously waiting for March now.
Liddle

Post by Liddle »

Adda_6a wrote:Super happy - what a surprise to find a letter already today! My daughter got 260 so could not be more proud of her :) good luck to everyone else
Wow, that's an amazing score. Well done to her!
Adda_6a

Post by Adda_6a »

Thank you Liddle and Pettswoodfiona :)
Got Bexley today, very high score there, too. Wow can't believe this chapter is over and so happy!
NW is our first choice I think, so looking forward how it goes next year...
Elenajob

Post by Elenajob »

Hello Adda,
What's the pass score in Bexley this year?