Calling all St Olaves parents for advise please!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
i-mum

Re: Calling all St Olaves parents for advise please!!!

Post by i-mum »

All schools are good but still it is difficult to choose school that would suit DS. Really need inputs from parents with kids alsready in school.

My DS is ok with competition and pressure as such, he is happy to learn and revise and give tests but he resents if he is given a lot of homework to do.

How long it usually takes your DS to do daily homework?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

i-mum wrote:All schools are good but still it is difficult to choose school that would suit DS. Really need inputs from parents with kids alsready in school.

My DS is ok with competition and pressure as such, he is happy to learn and revise and give tests but he resents if he is given a lot of homework to do.

Is level of homework really the best criteria on how to compare schools? It is rarely going to be a major difference between the different grammar schools. I know a mum through helping at at DD's school, she has twins, one at both Newstead and St Olaves. She says her daughter gets more than her son, but part of that could be perception as she went onto explain that her daughter tends to make a big meal out of the homework but her son doesn't so it takes him less time to do as he doesn't spend ages moaning about it and just gets focused. DD is in Y7 at NW so it is early days, she gets typically 45 minutes a night and a max of an hour and a half over the weekend.
Beck_mum

Post by Beck_mum »

My son is only in Y7 but he seems very happy. Not much homework at all so far - he certainly doesn't spend more than 30 mins a night and sometimes it's less. It seems very relaxed and no pressure at all, but it's early days I guess.
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

Thank you. Please someone with kids in higher class also share your view.

Homework isnt the main criteria but is important one for us atleast. The schools which are like top 100 are all good, each with its own positive and negative. We are looking at our commute to office, kid's commute to school and homework as it affects our day to day life. A bit laid back family here :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

i-mum wrote:All schools are good but still it is difficult to choose school that would suit DS. Really need inputs from parents with kids alsready in school.

Not in your area.I but I would ask what your DS regards as 'a lot of homework'? Is he in a normal state primary at the moment, or a particularly pushy independent school? The amount of homework given in most secondary schools is 'a lot' compared to the amount the pupil will have had in year 6. Does he already get an hour's worth each night and gets upset if his teacher announces that there will be a spelling test first thing the next morning? Or one or two items a week and he resents being given a third?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

i-mum wrote:A bit laid back family here :lol:
I know a number of families (from a variety of backgrounds and ethnicities) who've had DSs go through St Olaves. I wouldn't describe any of them as laid back, very very much the opposite.
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

He is in state primary and doesn't get much homework. School homework takes around 1 hour per week. For grammar school preparation he has done on average 30 to 40 mins a day in Year 5.

I think if homework will take an hour a day he would be ok, but if more it is going to be stressful. More stress for me tbh. After an hour he is just going to moan and moan and if i say something will get angry or tearful!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The difference will be that *you* won't be setting the homework. And you won't have to make him do it. Just make sure that he is free on Saturday for detention.
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

Ladymuck wrote: you won't have to make him do it.
Oh yes. Hadnt thought of it. That is a relief. I have already blown budget on Legos to keep him going on for 11+ prep!
SydenhamDad

Post by SydenhamDad »

Hi,

I've got a son in year 8 so am qualified to comment. Please note that there's a lot of hearsay and subjective comment on here, some of it needs taken with a pinch of salt.

In terms of homework specifically I'm surprised at how little there is. If you finish your work in class then some weeks go by without much. As with a lot of schools the teachers start off each term keen and set quite a lot but it always calms down. Seems less than other schools I know but trying to avoid hearsay.

I've met a lot of the parents in my son's class and none are the sort of crazy parent being described above. I fear St Olave's reputation precedes it. I don't believe they differ from other parents in this respect.

You raise a couple of other points:

1: I like the headmaster but understand the comments relating to him. He does bang on about Oxbridge a lot but, then again, he has a lot to be proud of.

2: in terms of pastoral care I have no complaints. Any issues we have had have been dealt with sensitively and empathcally. An email a couple of weeks ago detailed a huge number of facilities open to the boys from counselling to mindfulness. Perhaps they are responding to earlier criticism in this regard.

3: finally, there was a kerfuffle relating to boys not getting into sixth form and I'm not interested in reopening that debate. Go in with your eyes wide open, there is selection at year 11 and if it's not for you then at least you can decide whether that's for you or not.

My son is extraordinarily happy at St Olaves and he is relishing his education and extracurricular activities. My wife and I have no regrets at all.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your son.

Warm regards.