Bexley Primary KS2 SATS Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
daddyof3

Bexley Primary KS2 SATS Results

Post by daddyof3 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... rformance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These results are shocking. Many schools did not perform as well as expected.This is the first year that the SATS have been externally marked.

We have a big dilema. We live near Normandy Primary School and planned to move before our ds is due to start primary school in 2019.However Normandy scored higher than our target school.We would love to stay where we are but we are out of catchment for Bursted Wood / Barnhurst School.

What should we do? Should we consider Normandy Primary School? Can anyone tell me about Normandy Primary School? Anyone know of any good schools in Bexley that we should consider?

Thanks so much in advance.
Guest55

Re: Bexley Primary KS2 SATS Results

Post by Guest55 »

daddyof3 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... rformance/

This is the first year that the SATS have been externally marked.
Completely wrong - KS2 tests have been externally marked for years. What is different is the tests were changed this year and little guidance was given to schools.

Everyone has been told NOT to compare results with previous years ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

daddyof3, who you told that this was the first year that KS2 SATs had been externally marked, just out of curiosity? Whoever it is, I would think very carefully before relying on them for any other information regarding state education in this country :roll: . Or, possibly, anything else, for that matter.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
daddyof3

Post by daddyof3 »

I have been told by primary school teachers that previously KS2 SATS were marked internally and an overall teacher assessment level was given which have often been inflated (my wife a secondary school teacher) tells me. Previously a small sample was sent off for external marking.

However now they are externally marked I believe the results are more accurate. Good news for teachers-less marking and good news for parents-accurate results.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD took them in 2013 and they were externally marked. There was also a teacher assessed mark for writing, reading and maths, but that was as well as not instead of the externally marked assessment. Both were passed on to the secondary school.

Maybe you are thinking about the teacher assessed levels?

I think there is probably more issue with the fact some primary schools intensively prepare their students for them and others don't. One local secondary school said they found it difficult to compare children coming to them using sats, as it depended on what school they had come from.
daddyof3

Post by daddyof3 »

I have also been told that pre 2016 reading and maths papers were externally marked ?
Totally confused. Can any primary school teachers help out??

Anyway regardless of the marking we are still not sure about choosing the right primary school.
daddyof3

Post by daddyof3 »

Just seen your post Tinkers'- thank you very much that makes sense. I understand now.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I wouldn't worry too much about using the results to guide your decision. A lot can happen in the space of 5-6 years at primaries.
One locally to us have improved dramatically, based solely on SATs results, due to a change of head three years ago. However parents with children still there have said the pastoral care has plummeted and they aren't happy with the school any more. the emphasis is purely on results, not whether the children feel happy and supported.

With good parental support at home, children will do well at most primaries.
daddyof3

Post by daddyof3 »

Thank you very much. Your definitely right about parental support. We were worried but your post has been really encouraging.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

daddyof3 wrote:I have been told by primary school teachers that previously KS2 SATS were marked internally and an overall teacher assessment level was given which have often been inflated (my wife a secondary school teacher) tells me. Previously a small sample was sent off for external marking.
This is completely wrong. The 'real' KS2 tests in May were sent away and the LA also checked the schools were conducting these tests properly as well by no notice drop in checks. I have helped local Year 6 teachers challenge the marking when there have found minor errors and wanted a second opinion before challenging the marking.

You may be confused with other assessments but please put people right on this fact ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now